Buxus airlayering

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Air layering Buxus?
Im thinking of attempting airlayers on trunks of a very mature neglected box hedge .Its more like a row of trees, over 15 foot tall with stems 3- 5inches diameter and hasn't been pruned or trimmed ever in living memory .
It has beautiful mature bark and a great selection of material to choose from but at this size would it be likely to work? I know Box is very slow growing so I imagine its roots might take forever to grow....
Has anyone succeeded in rooting airlayers of this species and of this size?
Would it be better to cut back first and promote back budding of my target trunks/branches first before attempting airlayering?
Any advice please from all you Bonsainut experts out there? I will try to get photos and post on here..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They say it's easy...

My concern is the longer lasting line of damaged bark at the ring, especially if real thick.

I'd opt for movement since bark looks nice fast anyway.

Sorce

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are photos of part of the hedge- plenty of choice for air layers
If I can get sections to root does it back bud readily from mature wood?

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 21

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
be VERY critical of this material, and make a plan before you start layering.
I see very few parts that are truly interesting tbh.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
The photos are just to show one section as an example.There are over 50 plants to choose from along a 30 metre length of mature hedging.- I would try to select the best branches or trunks with interesting movement :- I obviously dont want to waste time on layering boring straight stumps!
Im interested to know if anyone has successfully airlayered this size/ age of Buxus? Any advice on timing and techniques?

Top Bottom