Buxus leaf question

Reaction score
Hello what does this mean for a buxus "i have 3 different ones and only see this on one of them and only in one cluster of branches. The specimen had a lot of leafminers i recently removed yesterday

Attachments

• 20200821_090233.jpg
    20200821_090233.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 64

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it not the leafminer activity?

Forgive me, I don't really know what leafminer damage entails.

Maybe a while tree shot as well?

Sorce

Reaction score
Is it not the leafminer activity?

Forgive me, I don't really know what leafminer damage entails.

Maybe a while tree shot as well?

Sorce

Leaf miner damage is usually from under the leaf. They look like dehydrated lines from where the eggs hatch from. The leaves in this picture i was hoping would be natural changes due to colder nights, but the yellow veins only appear on this one cluster

Attachments

• 20200820_102731.jpg
    20200820_102731.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 41

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that also the only spot currently growing?

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s as interesting as it is potentially troubling... i’ve never seen this before.

I hope you get it figured out..

I’ll bump you back to the top and call some others (who aren’t already here) to the party.

@Leo in N E Illinois , @penumbra , @leatherback , @Forsoothe! , @Wires_Guy_wires , any ideas about “what’s up” with these buxus leaves?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That section seems to have been growing for a while longer though?

In my studies of Boxwood I have noted very preprogrammed growth mechanisms.

They certainly don't want to grow outside of their regular scheduled spring and fall spurts.

It looks as if this one was pruned a little hard a little late, which is why that part was still growing through what normally would be summer Dormancy. That bit of "confusion", that led it to grow through the hotter times, could be why it is "off".

Note the preprogrammed lengths they will grow to as well. By pruning before growth in Spring and fall, we can safely shape them exactly.

Sorce

Reaction score
That section seems to have been growing for a while longer though?

In my studies of Boxwood I have noted very preprogrammed growth mechanisms.

They certainly don't want to grow outside of their regular scheduled spring and fall spurts.

It looks as if this one was pruned a little hard a little late, which is why that part was still growing through what normally would be summer Dormancy. That bit of "confusion", that led it to grow through the hotter times, could be why it is "off".

Note the preprogrammed lengths they will grow to as well. By pruning before growth in Spring and fall, we can safely shape them exactly.

Sorce

Thanks sorce i actually became fond of boxwood thanks to that thread. My temps right now are not dormancy periods but closer to fall... nights have been reach 12 celcius and days maxing at 28 celcius. I bought this from a nursery 2 weeks ago and did a trim then. There were already buds at that point so i figured thats why some of them hatched today.

**edit

I see what you mean there was new growth when i bought it. + new growth after trim

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does that cut on the right where the new growth was seem new?

Looks as if it was given a "pot rim edge pruning" during spring growth, which would have cause that section to keep growing thru summer dormancy.

It did a fine job of growing back into that profile didn't it!

Seems your pruning may have come at just about the perfect time, so all your new fall growth should be healthy.

Seems you have some green below those leaves, and design worse too, cutting back to there might not suck! So of you were afraid those leaves may be harboring pests, you should be able to cut them off no Worries, for health and design.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That’s as interesting as it is potentially troubling... i’ve never seen this before.

I hope you get it figured out..

I’ll bump you back to the top and call some others (who aren’t already here) to the party.

@Leo in N E Illinois , @penumbra , @leatherback , @Forsoothe! , @Wires_Guy_wires , any ideas about “what’s up” with these buxus leaves?

I'd put my money on a cal/mag deficiency from to the scattered patches in young foliage.
But then again, could be mechanical or sunburn due to the removal of foliage and laying the shaded stuff bare.
But it's hard to diagnose if the growing conditions and fertilizer aren't mentioned.
Calcium deficiencies are rare, unless people give their plants high pH tapwater. It's those parts of the puzzle that are pretty important for a proper diagnosis.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A couple things, first, @sorce
Ontario Canada is far enough north that "summer dormancy" is highly unlikely. We don't get a real summer dormancy in the Chicago area, we are too cool, even for as hot as Chicago was this year. Summer dormancy is a Memphis and further south phenomena. Stop confusing "new to bonsai" by throwing it into the mix. The slowing down of growth we see in the Chicago area is not really a true summer dormancy, it is merely the transition to getting ready to mature wood and harden off for winter.

The true, full blown "summer dormancy" is a phenomena principally of the desert southwest. It is not as defined or as severe east of the Mississippi River, does not really occur north of roughly Memphis.

@Mara of dragon clan
Nice boxwood. I do think your yellow markings are from a leaf miner, or a leaf chewing insect. If you have a systemic pesticide around from other gardening activities, check the label, if label says kills leaf miners, use it. Or shop a garden center and see if they have a pesticide labelled for leaf miners. Remember, if the insect is not listed on the label, there is no guarantee that it will work. So take the time and read.

Or you could pick off the affected leaves, and dispose of them, so the emerging bugs can't re-infest your tree. Removing leaves might be enough to get rid of the pest.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a "Summer Dormancy" as evident by the closer clusters of buds at this period.

Just because we don't witness it as an extended period of time up here, it still exists in the trees.

I think Newbs will be more confused, or rather, they will more heavily confuse their trees, if they don't realize this is an actual period of time that separates Spring Growth from Fall growth.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thx for linking me in. I had seen the thread before, and nothing to bring to the table. I have a strong dislike for the species, and gave 2 massive ones away at abonsai BBQ party a few years back.

To be more helpfull.. I would keep an eye on the leaves and not worry. See what spring brings. Could be as simple as a deficiency, or as bad as some blight. But .. Not knowing and just slinging all sorts of treatments at it, that would not be my route. Does not look like anything severely urgent to me. The leaves for the rest seem happy enough..

Reaction score
Thx for linking me in. I had seen the thread before, and nothing to bring to the table. I have a strong dislike for the species, and gave 2 massive ones away at abonsai BBQ party a few years back.

To be more helpfull.. I would keep an eye on the leaves and not worry. See what spring brings. Could be as simple as a deficiency, or as bad as some blight. But .. Not knowing and just slinging all sorts of treatments at it, that would not be my route. Does not look like anything severely urgent to me. The leaves for the rest seem happy enough..

The reminder to observe and not act with haste is valuable

Top Bottom