Buxus microphylla 'Grace Hendrick Phillips'

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey everybody, here's a Grace Hendrick Phillips boxwood I've had for a few years, haven't really pruned it or done anything other than repotting a couple times.

I bought 4 1gal. pots that had 3 plugs each and I separated them all. I like this one because of the natural splaying of the branches and the exposed roots, but the roots are flat as seen in the 3rd picture.

1st and 4th pics are what I like as the front. Not sure about that thick branch in front that starts left but kind of cuts back right. I don't know if I like it or not, it adds character but it doesn't really go with the sort of radiating thinner branches. It's pretty significant, holding a lot of foliage. It's loss would be huge for the canopy but maybe that's what's needed?

Any ideas or comments welcomed...
thanks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should hack it back significantly. The branching is far too gangly. If you don't, it will continue to develop those long thin branches.

I'd prune them all back to one or two shoots that are closest to the trunk. Wait for back budding behind that and continue that process until those branches are less than six inches long. This is going to be a long-term thing.

I'd also work on those roots doing the same. They're thickening up into stilts that you won't be able to push into a bonsai pot. Cut downward growing roots relentlessly. Keep the lateral roots. Plant in a shallower container, or bolt that to a board and plant it out in the ground to force roots sideways.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
boxwood I've had for a few years, haven't really pruned it or done anything

Sorry @cbroad that is a great plate.!

Boxwood....to me.....is one of those trees that needs constant vigilance in almost any state.

Nice!

Sorce

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@just.wing.it
Haha thanks, I never used it but the girl I got it from did!

@rockm
Thanks, yeah that was the answer I was afraid of... It's going to hurt pruning them back that hard. I potted this up in a 3gal. pot, I didn't do anything to the roots so it's going to have to wait at least a year before I touch it again. I hope to get it in the ground eventually but don't have room yet. I still have 5 more to pot up so I'll work on the roots some... I think I heard somewhere to prune boxwood's roots in the summer, is this correct or is spring all right too?

Top Bottom