Buy a tree in Japan, leave it there

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's no secret society, but the 3 people you mentioned have very long tenure in the scene, so they've cultivated relationships with other bonsai people and are more aware of the supply chain (for yamadori, for pottery, for wire, for akadama).

Even living in what should be renamed from "Willamette Valley" to "Bonsai Valley", when I started out, I didn't muster the courage to attend local bonsai meetups, so it took me much longer to become aware of the bonsai supply chain. As a result I started with mediocre nursery stock and crappy (also wickedly expensive) options for soil suppliers.

Meanwhile, not only was there better bonsai material and supplies right under my nose that whole time, but also, there was lots of free material / supplies / tools floating around as well. So I am with @JudyB on this, connecting with other bonsai people in your region (if not necessarily your immediate neighborhood) will get you much closer to straightforward answers to all needs, whether it's a nice JBP trunk or where to find akadama or pumice.

On the other hand, some types of material or supplies are less regional, and yamadori and pre-bonsai can be like this. If your goal is to start with high value material which is also completely raw, like what Ryan, Bjorn an Sergio often work with, then you must muster the courage to reach out to collectors such as the Backcountry Boys, Randy Knight, etc. They're good people with lots of material on hand (Randy has quite a few trees at any given moment). If your goal is to start with professionally grown pre-bonsai (pre-engineered roots, some time given to trunk growth, etc), there are professional growers on this forum ( @JEads for example ) and on instagram. Find one and you quickly find the rest.
Going to high/medium level shows is also a good source. Sorry to the OP that this got so far off your original track…

apic92

Seedling
Reaction score
Dear Bonsai Enthusiasts,

As we reach the conclusion of this engaging and insightful thread on the concept of buying a bonsai tree in Japan and leaving it there for maintenance, I want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to each one of you for your thoughtful contributions.

This discussion was initiated as part of a study to understand various perspectives within our community, and I'm thrilled to share a synthesis of our collective insights:

Overall Conclusion:​

1. Positive Reactions: Many of you expressed interest and appreciation for the concept, seeing value in the artistic, cultural, and status aspects. (56.25% positive reactions)
  2. Negative Reactions: Concerns were raised about practicality, financial feasibility, and personal preferences for hands-on care. (25% negative reactions)
  3. Neutral/Mixed Reactions: Some participants analyzed different perspectives, comparing practices in different countries, or expressing both appreciation and skepticism. (18.75% neutral/mixed reactions)

Key Insights:​

• Cultural Understanding: The practice is more common and culturally accepted in certain regions, particularly among the wealthy.
  • Emotional vs. Financial Investment: A divide between those who see bonsai as an emotional investment and those who view it as a financial or status symbol.
  • Accessibility and Exclusivity: The idea seems more applicable to the rich or deeply invested in bonsai.
  • Community Collaboration: A strong sense of community and collaboration within the bonsai world.
I hope you find this summary reflective of our rich and diverse conversation.

New Thread Invitation:​

Building on our shared interest in the stories and culture of bonsai, I'm excited to announce a new thread titled "The Legacy and Culture of Bonsai Provenance: Exploring the Roots and Significance of Iconic Trees". In this new discussion, we'll delve into the history, lineage, and cultural significance of bonsai trees.

I warmly invite you to join this new conversation and continue our exploration of the multifaceted world of bonsai. Your thoughts, experiences, and wisdom are invaluable to our community.

Thank you once again for your participation in this thread, and I look forward to connecting with you in the new discussion!

Best, Apic92

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Adam Jones runs a nursery in Ibaraki named Tree House Bonsai and this idea of cultivating a tree in Japan is a service that he offers to foreigners. The difference is that it's not entirely at a distance. You can and do travel to work on your tree as an educational experience.
This is a really interesting program! It continues to be clear that non-Japanese bonsai is playing catchup with the lessons and learnings that the Japanese have known for generations. In my book, the more westerners learning directly from Japanese practice, the more bonsai will improve around the globe.

Top Bottom