Buyer Beware...Eastern Leaf Bonsai

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
BUYER BEWARE...BUYER BEWARE Eastern Leaf, Chino, CA near San Diego...
The company does not ship what it advertises ...Poor Form, Poor Shape,,,
Customer Support delivers Platitudes but no Support...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We gonna have another Eastern Leaf bashing session?
I can't forget that watering video! 😂

If ordering online, and buying a small starter tree, the ones in the pics are almost never the exact tree you get, supposed to be similar.

Brussels does the same thing, I got a Mugo that turned out to be more interesting than the online pic, it was a fun surprise.

I bet if you called them directly, and asked for pictures of the trees, they'd probably work with you.....and send pics, from which you could choose.

I kinda think buying small material sight unseen is sort of fun.....like a blind grab bag.

So, uhh.....what'dya git?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This sounds mean, but I don't really mean it to be, but If you're buying bonsai from a place that also sells hand cream and tea, along with bonsai, you should probably not be surprised at the quality of bonsai, just sayin...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This sounds mean, but I don't really mean it to be, but If you're buying bonsai from a place that also sells hand cream and tea, along with bonsai, you should probably not be surprised at the quality of bonsai, just sayin...

But have you seen their mudmen inventory? 😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im with @just.wing.it ...it can be a fun grab bag or pure suck. My buddy got a JbP from Brussels and it was WAY nicer than what was pictured. Also seen pics of folks who got the same price point JPB and its a mess.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But have you seen their mudmen inventory? 😂
The guy actually has some interesting stuff there, if you like that kind of thing.

He also has some interesting species that aren't common

This site isn't the desperate pit of uncaring iniquity it's being made out to be. The resident "artist" has some bonafides as a bonsai guy--

And after looking through the offerings, it's not really apparent that this site is much different than other "entry level" bonsai sellers on the 'net (who also don't send the exact tree in catalog pics.) He, unfortunately, doesn't explicitly spell that out in the descriptions, BUT, those descriptions have a pretty obvious set of clues that's what going on. for Instance-" Bonsai tree measures between 8" to 10" tall potted, and arrives in a 6" pot. Pot may vary depending on availability"

That is a pretty good clue that what you're going to get won't be exactly what you're looking at.

I'm not endorsing this kind of blurry sales pitch, but it's also not unique to this site, nor is the indifferent customer care--which can be subjective. Shows that if you're shopping around on sites like these, read stuff with a critical eye.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They are down the street from me, never bought a tree from them, just supplies, fortunately no variances with that, lol. Anyway, he does have some nice trees at the shop which are not shown online, expensive, but nice. Probably will never get a tree from them, have to many already. Good to know though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Ok, I'm going to ask the dumb question - what is so bad about this video? It's not too far off from other beginner watering videos I've seen around the net. Is it because he basically drowns and washes out a bunch of soil as he's top watering? Is it the poor soil that basically looks like commercial potting soil?

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, I'm going to ask the dumb question - what is so bad about this video? It's not too far off from other beginner watering videos I've seen around the net. Is it because he basically drowns and washes out a bunch of soil as he's top watering? Is it the poor soil that basically looks like commercial potting soil?

i was looking the trees.. they don't look good imo.. i am not a fan of that type of juniper..

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve bought supplies from them. Fast and cheap shipping. I’d never buy a tree online without getting actual pictures of the tree though.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
OK good comments, thanks all...Now let me be specific...………...
I viewed the site and found a couple that I liked, a Chinese Elm for $59 and a very nice looking Dwarf Japanese Sharps Pygmy for $89, both at 5+ years old and 10" to 12"high, they came in a good sized cardboard box and were very well packaged, 10 days free shipping Chino, CA to Plymouth, MI...……….
The Chinese Elm was very nice with a Trunk that had some decent Movement, Canopy was Light but ok....

The Sharps Pygmy was a Big disappointment with irregular Branch form, most everything to one side of the tree so the side to side was no good for form and shape and could not be pruned to decent shape, front to back was also one sided and highly unusual and not offering any chance for pruning to shape, otherwise good healthy canopy and the Sharps Pygmy I received was not even remotely close to the picture they showed for the sale....

IMO someone selected a tree without any thought to Shape and Form which they profess to pay attention to........
when I contacted Customer Support they talked to me as though I was totally unknowing of Bonsai Gardening and the tree would come around, whatever that meant.....they offered a Refund but my shipping was equal to the original price...…...again IMO they should hand select a good well balanced in shape and form Sharps Pygmy at no cost, not a specialized tree just not a $10.00 reject...….

I think this whole episode shows that Mr. Chan has lost control of his Bonsai Sales and it is now in the hands of lowly paid non Bonsai people.....BUYER BEWARE, BUYER BEWARE...….

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO someone selected a tree without any thought to Shape and Form which they profess to pay attention to........

To even type this is ignorant of what true bonsai is.....

If you have to depend on other people to pick your stock, then you get exactly what you pay for.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
well, thanks for the info.. IF i were to buy from them..i would totally ask for pics WYSIWYG kind of thing!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK good comments, thanks all...Now let me be specific...………...
I viewed the site and found a couple that I liked, a Chinese Elm for $59 and a very nice looking Dwarf Japanese Sharps Pygmy for $89, both at 5+ years old and 10" to 12"high, they came in a good sized cardboard box and were very well packaged, 10 days free shipping Chino, CA to Plymouth, MI...……….
The Chinese Elm was very nice with a Trunk that had some decent Movement, Canopy was Light but ok....

The Sharps Pygmy was a Big disappointment with irregular Branch form, most everything to one side of the tree so the side to side was no good for form and shape and could not be pruned to decent shape, front to back was also one sided and highly unusual and not offering any chance for pruning to shape, otherwise good healthy canopy and the Sharps Pygmy I received was not even remotely close to the picture they showed for the sale....

when I contacted Customer Support they talked to me as though I was totally unknowing of Bonsai Gardening and the tree would come around, whatever that meant.....they offered a Refund but my shipping was equal to the original price...…...again IMO they should hand select a good well balanced in shape and form Sharps Pygmy at no cost, not a specialized tree just not a $10.00 reject...….

I think this whole episode shows that Mr. Chan has lost control of his Bonsai Sales and it is now in the hands of lowly paid non Bonsai people.....BUYER BEWARE, BUYER BEWARE...….
This is silly. You have no idea that "Mr. Chan has lost control" of anything, period. That is, unless you have actually been to Chino and have witnessed this firsthand.

Look, this outfit OBVIOUSLY is a mass-production outfit. They're aiming AT VOLUME, not necessarily quality. That means they ship the next tree in the queue, not one hand selected for your enjoyment.
The bits and pieces of your experience with their customer service aren't all that remarkable either. Again, they're used to dealing with BEGINNERS. Tha

Top Bottom