buying a banyan tree to make a bonsai

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
i just saw a nice banyan tree in a garden center near me. actually, its about 5 trees growing together and the trunk on the thickest one is about 3cm (1.2") and about 1.2m (4'). it has some above ground roots already and it also has many low down branches and i think with a bit of pruning and wiring would make a great bonsai.

but i am wondering what to do about the height? its already way too tall for bonsai but if i just lop the top off i think it will not look natural, i.e. not tapering to point. what could i do about that? is there a way to make a cut off top look more natural?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Steve!

Can you post some pictures??

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
hi again

so i found some smaller banyan trees (cheaper too, 3 trees for $20!)

i found some nice ones without a lot of vertical growth but good width at the ground and lots of low growth and exposed roots

P1140608.jpg
P1140610.jpg
P1140611.jpg
P1140612.jpg

so my question now is where to start? i'd like to get the trunks a bit wider, maybe 3" but still keep quite a bit of foliage. i'd like to get the roots above ground level and perhaps eventually drape one over a rock. picture anchor wat in cambodia scaled down a bit.

the one with 2 similar size trunks, i'd like to get them to wrap around each other if possible.

so my questions are:

1) should i leave them in this grow bag or move them to something else? if so, what?
2) if i move them, should i prune the roots now?
3) should i start wiring the branches now?
4) should i prune the branches now and if so, how much?
5) what else should i know?

thx for your help, i'm a total newbee so please don't assume i know anything!

by the way, i'm in south Thailand and we don't have seasons here, its always hot, humid and mostly sunny

steve

Attachments

• P1140609.jpg
    P1140609.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
sorry, me again, i just wanted to post some pictures of the type of tree i'm trying to get to

i don't want it too pretty like a freshly groomed poodle, i want to natural, wide, low, asymmetrical, airy but not naked.

banyan1.jpg
banyan1.jpg
banyan3.jpg
banyan4.jpg

thanks

Top Bottom