Buying a bonsai from Etsy

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I love this Bonsai that I found at Etsy, however there is no description on where it was raised (grown) and I live in Texas where we are not strangers to 100* during the summer months and inside I keep the home at around between 68~73 (night and day). Most post I see they recommend some of these Bonsai to be outdoors but I am afraid to buy something and kill it. The tree itself is over $100 which I am OK with loosing but what I can't bear is the thought of killing something that has been growing for at least 7 years (based on the description.

The Bonsai I would like to buy:
1654188425453.png

Is it possible to buy these trees and have them live in Texas? If so, should I find a warm place close to a window where it can get full sun but it is also protected by the AC? Indirect air of course.

I would like to add that I bought another Bonsai tree from a local vendor but they are the smaller type and at first it started to die because it was in the shade, once I moved close to a window and started to add more water the tree is doing amazingly well and the branches are growing so I am positive about investing into a new Bonsai.

A picture of the tree I currently have, close to a window and indoors all the time
1654188553881.png

Cadarn

Seed
Reaction score
These are outdoor trees. Both will unfortunately die if you keep them inside.

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
These are outdoor trees. Both will unfortunately die if you keep them inside.
Even in the 100*+ weather? Should I just find a very shady place outside?

Like I mentioned, the one I have is doing great, branches and leaves keep growing. It does get direct sunlight but only for about an hour or less.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first is a cryptomeria and the second a juniper. Both belong outside.

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
The first is a cryptomeria and the second a juniper. Both belong outside.
Thanks! Do you know where I can find more info of what kind of environment outside? Like I mentioned before I live in Texas and we are not strangers of 100*+ weather, would a tree in direct sunlight on a dry hot summer day be not affected by it?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! Do you know where I can find more info of what kind of environment outside? Like I mentioned before I live in Texas and we are not strangers of 100*+ weather, would a tree in direct sunlight on a dry hot summer day be not affected by it?
This all depends on the tree. Bonsai is VERY possible in Texas. There is a thriving bonsai community in all the major metro areas, from Austin to Dallas to Houston. Native species, such as live oak and cedar elm are regularly used as bonsai material. You have junipers, which are extremely tough plants (and will die inside--yeah it will not enough light, air circulation, humidity to keep them well. Yours might be doing well , but it won't be six months from now--not trying to be negative, but that's the way it works. Junipers NEED weather to survive.

In keeping them outside involves caring for them outside. First placing them in an area where they get morning to midday sun and afternoon shade relief will help in the hottest weather. You can also cover their pots with wet white towels or T-shirts. Second making sure they get water WHEN THEY NEED it is another primary job for care.

Here's a vid of what's possible down that way.

and a pic of my Texas live oak originally collected in Salado back in the 1990's. I've had it as a bonsai for 30 years.

Attachments

• live oak.jpg
    live oak.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 33

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
google it or ask at a nursery
I will look for a nursery, I am afraid of just "Googling" it and get the wrong info as "anyone" can post anything in google but I figured a forum like this would be a better place to ask :).

sure it will, may need water 2-3 times a day
This is great to know! Thanks so much I really appreciate it.

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
First placing them in an area where they get morning to midday sun and afternoon shade relief will help in the hottest weather.
This is great advice and I have just the spot for that!
Second making sure they get water WHEN THEY NEED it is another primary job for care
I leaned that fast! It was dying quick for too little of water and in the shade.
it won't be six months from now--not trying to be negative, but that's the way it works.
You are not being negative, you are being honest and that is what I am looking for! Thanks again for your comments.
and a pic of my Texas live oak originally collected in Salado back in the 1990's. I've had it as a bonsai for 30 years.
That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that picture as well!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That juniper is really not worth it. Look into visiting a bonsai nursery if one isn’t too far. Then you can see and feel bonsai have questions answered and walk out with a tree suitable for your area and expertise.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Google Bonsai Nursery. A regular nursery won't really be able to help you get started. You can read on this site about bonsai nurseries that ship.

Florida is very similar to Texas and trees do very well here. Google Wigerts Nursery in Florida (not suggesting it because it's in Fl) It's a great company and they do a lot of mail order. I think you'll be very satisfied with them.

Good luck and enjoy.

GrandBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Google Bonsai Nursery. A regular nursery won't really be able to help you get started
Honestly I don't know why I didn't think about that sooner. I did a search and found 5 within 30 minute drive from my location! I will for sure will be hitting some over the weekend!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly I don't know why I didn't think about that sooner. I did a search and found 5 within 30 minute drive from my location! I will for sure will be hitting some over the weekend!
Be careful just a google search will show standard nurseries as bonsai. A real bonsai nursery specializes in everything bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given that Texas is a pretty big place, might help us help you if you filled out the location information in your profile. Doesn't need to be too specific.--city or region would be enough. There are several clubs in the state as well as suppliers, but they're widely separated.

Here's a place to start looking for a club--their sites often list good local resources. As stated, some generic nurseries sell bonsai. That doesn't make them experts, or even very knowledgeable about it, however. You also don't really have to join a club (although they can be great sources of knowledge as well as inexpensive trees and other resources. You can ask them questions and I'm sure they'd provide a lot of assistance.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are you in Houston? Houston Bonsai Society is meeting tomorrow. If you are I can recommend 2 good bonsai places and the one to avoid.

Idk if your first pic is a cryptomeria, but a couple things.
1. If it is, it WILL die here. So will larches.
2. That isn't how formal upright bonsai are made. The tree in the first pic will never look like the style it is trying to represent.

Top Bottom