Buying a trident maple seedling Would like to grow in ground.Has anyone planted in ground in the Chicago area with success. Or is it too cold.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From what I’ve read sounds like it’s too cold.but I thought I would ask if anyone’s had any success in the area.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure @Don Blackmond said he ground grows tridents where he is in Michigan, which is probably about the same winter conditions (maybe a little worse). Give it a try, maybe get a few. I don't know if I'd plant it this late, though, I'd probably hold off till spring so it has a full season to get established before winter.

BTW, they grow in the ground OK here (Rochester NY area) but we don't get the same kind of extreme cold that you get out there.

Last edited:

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! Trident seedling has not Arrived yet. as you said getting late in the season. I’ll plant coming spring so has more time to establish itself thank you for your detailed reply.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think Acer buergerianum would do fine in the ground in Chicago. In a pot, however, it would require extensive winter protection.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know if I'd plant it this late, though, I'd probably hold off till spring so it has a full season to get established before winter.

That is one way to look at it. Another is that it is better to plant in the fall because a lot of root growth takes place in the winter so the plant has two growing seasons before having to deal with the heat and drought of summer.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one way to look at it. Another is that it is better to plant in the fall because a lot of root growth takes place in the winter so the plant has two growing seasons before having to deal with the heat and drought of summer.
Perhaps...but we're talking about a seedling of a species that may be near the limit for cold tolerance in that area, so I'd think it would be better to let it have the whole growing season to establish before the cold hits. Keep it watered during the summer and it should be fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'm located in 49047 and grow tridents in the ground. I also grow them in training pots, squat pots, and nursery cans, and leave them sitting on the ground with no protection during winter. We get a lot of snow and snow insulates the pots/roots, maintaining a pretty constant temperature. Your biggest enemies are strong, drying winds and constant freeze/thaw cycles. Snow load is another factor to consider once you have structure and branching in place. Lastly, you will get browsed by animals.

Seedlings are inexpensive so you really have very little to lose. Experiment and have fun doing it.

Top Bottom