Buying tools need help

EdHJr92

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want a full set of all the basic tools. I've misplaced or broken most of mine over the years and I'm not sure were to buy from. It needs to be a reasonable price. But I also don't want crap quality tools. From what I've seen tools are outrageously priced at bonsai shops. I don't know brands or names so I'm afraid to buy online without any knowledge of who makes quality.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Kaneshin tools. Great quality, reasonable price. I would only buy what you need, not a whole set. Many agree the basic essentials are, concave/branch cutter, pruning scissors, wire cutter, maybe knob/root cutters.

Know what size trees you will likely be working so as to get the proper sized tools.

Also, have you used the search feature for this site? I suspect the answer is NO. If you had you'd already have many threads and posts full of answers, recommendations, links, and testimonials. It really is a nice feature.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like stainless steel tools (the cheap one's are also pretty good).

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I started many years ago with cheap chinese tools. Some of them are still in my toolbox, I use them for root works. I've been useing Kaneshin black steel tools for 3 years, very good ratio quality vs price, hold the edges well, but they need some care... Last year I acquired some small tools for shohins, gave a try to stainless Ryuga scissors and concave branch cutters for reasonable price and I like working with them.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please read this book first -

Introductory Bonsai and the care and use of Bonsai tools - Masakuni and Murata

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-...&sr=8-1&keywords=Introductory+bonsai+masakuni

price 0.1 cent plus shipping

******The concave pruner is only for cutting twigs at matchstick or toothpick thickness.*****

So you can buy a concave pruner for around 8 to 12 $ US plus shipping and not an arm and a leg, then break it on a branch.

Also please wrap tools in an oiled cloth when not in use. Baby Oil, no addictives works well.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got to heat them up just a little first -than it'll just flow right out.
I never thought of using heat before putting one in the press.
This is the reason to come to this forum. To learn all of these little tricks you can't find anywhere else.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Finally simply bought a Ryuga RC12S spherical branch cutter, $60, not beyond my price affordability (and yes, I do understand the tendancy "you get what you pay for") and it's always still "close enough" to my birthday. Was relying on the local nurserie's reputation for quality to only sell quality bonsai tools and have always wanted a spherical rather than straight branch cutter. Learned after I returned home and tried them on my vine maple that they do indeed work though with a lot of necessary strength to lop through 5/8 diameter branches. The natural concavities that were left are being filled well by the bark creeping over the edges of the cuts. Trying to find reviews on this Ryuga cutter came up without success. Don't know if they are too new or what but no one seems to have a long use (or short use) report on this cutter. Learned they are made in China but to "strictly tested Japanese standards". I'd give them a good cutting ability rating, plus the fact they don't simply snap under load of what I'm sure is near max cutting capacity. Hopefully I'll get years of my own testing of them. Joshua Roth is a major company now selling these as a "cheaper" (I think they were speaking mainly of price) model up against their Japanese tools. Ah, now I need the concave muncher/wood ripping jin former/root lopper knob cutter. Mwaaahahaha, man what you can do with these.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only "bonsai" tool I own is a concave cutter. Which I only use to cut smaller branches. I use my hardware bypass branch cutters more. Pliers and wire cutters from there. The Channelock wire cutters snip wire all the way out to the tips.
I got my concave cutters through Stone Lantern. Roshi brand.

Top Bottom