Buying Yamadori in Europe

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have some money saved up for a decent tree.
But I'm not that fond of imported chinensis junipers and I'd like to treat myself to a nice scots pine or sabina juniper yamadori.

Do any of you Europeans have recommendations for sellers with a good reputation?

I'm not that fond of driving all the way to Italy or Spain, but I could go for a weekend in France. Of course a Dutch seller would be prefered, because it would save me a lot on gasoline. Most Europeans seem to be selling mostly deciduous, could be the time of the year, not sure about that.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Try Jack Rost Bonsai from Poland.
Saw some nice pine yamadori there.
I think @Mihai bought a few.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny use / Ginkgo bonsai has a LARGE amount of P sylvestris yamadori, and normally also Sabina.
Werner Busch (Bonsai Dusseldorf) has a few pinus and sabina. If you have 800E budget there is a Sabina that makes me weep I do not have the space (Nor am willing to spend that sort of money)
I was at Ralf Beckers' 3 weeks ago and he has a few. It is a nice place to visit (sauerland) but the pines were not too great
You could ask Tenis Jan. He usually has a lot of material, but not too many yamadori

Of course, if the Trophy does take place, that is a good place to go shopping, but keep your wallet till sunday afternoon.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Danny use / Ginkgo bonsai has a LARGE amount of P sylvestris yamadori, and normally also Sabina.
Werner Busch (Bonsai Dusseldorf) has a few pinus and sabina. If you have 800E budget there is a Sabina that makes me weep I do not have the space (Nor am willing to spend that sort of money)
I was at Ralf Beckers' 3 weeks ago and he has a few. It is a nice place to visit (sauerland) but the pines were not too great
You could ask Tenis Jan. He usually has a lot of material, but not too many yamadori

Of course, if the Trophy does take place, that is a good place to go shopping, but keep your wallet till sunday afternoon.
Thanks! Ginkgo Bonsai is still on my list to visit.

I'm not counting on Noelanders to happen at the set date. I'm even hesitant to buy tickets.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another vote for Danny Use here. I'm there every Saturday if you would like a a little tour ;)
He just got a new shipment of 100+ awesome Yamadori Scotch pines in a few weeks ago. All price ranges.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
I have some money saved up for a decent tree.
But I'm not that fond of imported chinensis junipers and I'd like to treat myself to a nice scots pine or sabina juniper yamadori.

Do any of you Europeans have recommendations for sellers with a good reputation?

I'm not that fond of driving all the way to Italy or Spain, but I could go for a weekend in France. Of course a Dutch seller would be prefered, because it would save me a lot on gasoline. Most Europeans seem to be selling mostly deciduous, could be the time of the year, not sure about that.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.
Good luck in your quest. I guess I dont realize how lucky I am. I have nice trees available off of ebay. Your way sounds more adventurous and exciting however. I have made the decision that I want one super and expensive bonsai. I am lucky to have found it after my white pine died. You only live once ... I think. See ya.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have nice trees available off of ebay.
Here we can get lots of the bay or local advertisement boards too. I for one rarely buy there.

If I am spending real money on a tree, I want to know the person selling OR see the tree in person. You never know what sort of hidden surprizes are "accidentally" hidden behind a leaf or nudged just behind the trunk. Especially with Yamadori it can get complex to figure out how the tree looks irl..

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And yet another vote for Danny's Gingko bonsai in Laarne. Plan your visit, contact them first, make an appointment and ask for suggestions in your price range.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
Here we can get lots of the bay or local advertisement boards too. I for one rarely buy there.

If I am spending real money on a tree, I want to know the person selling OR see the tree in person. You never know what sort of hidden surprizes are "accidentally" hidden behind a leaf or nudged just behind the trunk. Especially with Yamadori it can get complex to figure out how the tree looks irl..
That makes it sound like I am selling trees. I AM NOT SELLING BONSAI TREES ON EBAY!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That makes it sound like I am selling trees. I AM NOT SELLING BONSAI TREES ON EBAY!
I understand that. I meant what I said though. You can have lots of people selling on ebay. But seeing the trees in person is just a preferred method for me, and how I think to know our OP friend, his too.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
I understand that. I meant what I said though. You can have lots of people selling on ebay. But seeing the trees in person is just a preferred method for me, and how I think to know our OP friend, his too.
See my other post please my health and age prohibit my collecting and traveling. I have gotten what I consider some nice trees. Why the hostility? I like them and that is all that matters. Here are some pics of my greenhouse. I told you that I am nothing more than an amateur but I sure have fun!. Sometimes things end up a little different that what we want. Best I can do is see a picture most of the time. Wish it weren't but it is what it is for me anyway. Enjoy you youth and cherish it, it is precious.

Attachments

• 20211114_133040.jpg
    20211114_133040.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211114_133251.jpg
    20211114_133251.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211114_134216.jpg
    20211114_134216.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211114_134359.jpg
    20211114_134359.jpg