Buying your cuttings

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring is upon us and we've opened up our cutting buying program again to help some of you nuts support your addiction 'erm hobby.

For those of you not familiar, every year just before spring through mid May typically we start buying your cuttings. Those things you cut off your beautiful trees and sometimes just throw in the garbage, if they are the right species we will give you money for them. (we know some of you are nuts like us and have to try and grow roots on everything you cut off your trees and that's O.K. too, this just wont be for you.)

Why? you may ask. Because were a little nuts ;)

Seriously though. We have a large huge field growing operation and we're very picky planters. Genetics is what its all about for us. On top of that, we're a long way from being able to produce enough cuttings every year to self sustain planting our fields. Because we're picky about the traits of what we plant our mother stock doesn't produce enough cuttings to fill as many fields as we want to fill.

What are we buying this year?

Juniper-
Shimpaku
Kishu
Itoigawa

Ezo Matsu Spruce (sakhalin spruce - picea glehnii NOT yezo or jezo spruce - picea jezoensis)

• Minimum of at least a small flat rate box worth of cuttings for us to buy them.
  • They do not need to have roots on them, freshly cut is fine but please make sure your shipping them within a few days of cutting and that you have stored them in a bag with a wet paper towel since cut.
  • Please make sure you have checked your cuttings for insects, we don't want to be transporting invasive species across state lines
  • Want to set something up to always sell us your cuttings on species we are buying? Well shucks, you may just get a christmas card from us 😘 Reach out and let us know.
Send a P.M. and let us know what you got. Pictures always help. If you know you will be cutting in the future reach out and let us know what / when and we will work something out.

Attachments

• Shimpaku Field.jpg
    Shimpaku Field.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Winter Dawn Redwood Bonsai In Field.jpg
    Winter Dawn Redwood Bonsai In Field.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Winter Shimpaku In Field.jpg
    Winter Shimpaku In Field.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 54

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is incredibly awesome! I don’t have near enough trees to send you a flat rate box full of cuttings, but I love the idea.

We need more operations like this in North America. Well, everywhere, really. 😎

Best of luck!

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is incredibly awesome! I don’t have near enough trees to send you a flat rate box full of cuttings, but I love the idea.

We need more operations like this in North America. Well, everywhere, really. 😎

Best of luck!

Thanks! It only takes about 10-12 cuttings to fill a small flat rate box just so you know. The average cutting is 2-5" long, so a dozen fills a small flat rate box.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Stillwater Gotta love Propagation!

Can you message me a full list of all species you're looking for? Thanks!

Thanks for your interest @StoneCloud. As we plant field by field every year it limits us to only a few species every year. The ones we are buying this year are only the 3 juniper cultivars, and ezo matsu spruce. We are doing korean maple hybrids we made and field maple as well from seed this year but they wont be going into the field for 3 years. We're doing Ezo Matsu spruce from seed too but we were only able to source about 10,000 seeds and they are notorious for VERY low germination rates, and even worse die off within the first year which is why we are buying cuttings as a buffer of those.

As we try to get at minimum of 3,000 - 5,000 of each species in their respective field when we plant. At current we are not able to produce 5,000 of the 3 main Juniper cultivars a year with enough genetic diversity for it to be viable which is why we are pretty much ALWAYS buying cuttings of those.

However, If you do have around 300 cuttings of any species suitable for bonsai that are hardy to zone 4 at minimum. Feel free to reach out as with that many cuttings we have good odds of finding mother stock material in the lot and can start planning for a future crop.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! It only takes about 10-12 cuttings to fill a small flat rate box just so you know. The average cutting is 2-5" long, so a dozen fills a small flat rate box.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking a much larger box. Not really familiar with mailing.

I may be able to send itoigawa at some point, but not this year. I’ll keep you in mind in the future!

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking a much larger box. Not really familiar with mailing.

I may be able to send itoigawa at some point, but not this year. I’ll keep you in mind in the future!

Just send us a P.M. here or on facebook whenever you have itoigawa cuttings and we will be happy to accomodate you any time of year, due to the lack of ability to propagate the chinese juniper cultivars from seed, we will always buy them. For decades to come.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems there is no way to edit the original post, so i guess we'll have to add this here.

If you have any large, overgrown, motherstock suitable material for these species we would be interested in them as well. By large we mean 3 to 5 gallon pot or bigger. By mother stock we mean something that has not been worked as a bonsai. We don't want to take a work of art and butcher it just to make cuttings.

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤔

Well I sure hope THAT doesn't go the wrong way.

Sorce

Don't see how it could. I'm not selling anything here, just buying to support people's hobby. The defamation case with (insert trolls name here) will have its day in court some day and i will finally be able to tell how things actually unfolded. Until then, i just have to sit here and watch it carry on. Lawyers have to ruin all the fun.

Just for the record so there is no confusion, @sorce and i only know each other from brief passings on this forum and he has NOTHING TO DO with anything going on with (insert trolls name here). With that said, leave him out of it. Sorce is a great and helpful guy with the integrity of a saint, don't let his vouch for buying cuttings affect that in any effect. With little effort you can scroll through and see we have done this once a year for the past 3 years without complaint, which is the only reason he said anything. Let that be that, nothing more, nothing less.

UPDATE ON BUYING CUTTINGS:
As i am quite certain any minute now the flood of ranting will spill over into this thread and it will be overrun with garbage for pages and pages, please contact us directly via facebook or P.M. if you have cuttings to sell. As a defamation case is in the pipeline with the courts, I have been instructed not to participate in any discussion about the matter in a public forum meaning all i could do is be a spectator, like i actually have time to read all the nonsense that has been unfolding. For those who do not understand what all that means, basically, i can not, and will not be replying to your trolling. I will however buy your cuttings, even if you are a troll. 😘

Keep calm and bonsai on

Stillwater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buying is still in full swing. Still got room for tens of thousands more cuttings.

Top Bottom