Bvangorp 2020-2025 azalea entry

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did not get my azalea until 2021 (home depot) but I figured I would document here! There has been many mistakes, and newbie moves but I am learning a ton and excited to see how it changes over the next few years! I got it extremely root bound and in need of a serious repot but I wanted to wait due to getting it in mid summer in chicago where a repot I thought would be a very bad idea.

Attachments

• az1.jpg
    az1.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 32
  • az2.jpg
    az2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 30
  • az3.jpg
    az3.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 37

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had an emergency repot situation this winter around January. This is when I found out it was 3 separate plants. I decided to try to split them up and cut them back (thinking it may not make it). I brought them inside after being in the cold for a good 2ish months. I repotted in 100% kanuma and had them under grow lights. This is what they look like now before going back outside this spring.

Attachments

• az4.jpg
    az4.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 36
  • az5.jpg
    az5.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 30
  • az6.jpg
    az6.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 29

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Bvangorp Welcome to the contest! You will need to pick one of the three as your entry. If your original entry dies you can re-enter another, however you will need to start over from scratch.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Bvangorp Welcome to the contest! You will need to pick one of the three as your entry. If your original entry dies you can re-enter another, however you will need to start over from s
@Pitoon ah the contest thickens. I like it. I will think it over and decide

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
here is my final idea for how I want it to look. Not sure if it’s very “azalea” but I figure azaleas don’t really have a true ancient look or specific style so I’m going to try to do something like this. Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated!

F9AD4A8C-E923-4C93-92C3-CDD9FBD935B7.jpeg

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I rememeber correctly, it is an Encore. But I don't know if it is 'Encore Royalty' or 'Encore Lilac', or something else.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I rememeber correctly, it is an Encore. But I don't know if it is 'Encore Royalty' or 'Encore Lilac', or something else.
I had an idea it was an Encore based on the size of the leaves. The pot confirmed it, but was curious on the registered name for this one. I like the flowers.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes it’s stunning bloomed for like 6 months. Encore autumn amethyst. Stunning flowers. Love this one

Attachments

• C0045635-F049-4DC7-B068-86ACD5A5B66E.jpeg
    C0045635-F049-4DC7-B068-86ACD5A5B66E.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My monthly (optimistic) update.

Things are looking very healthy. It is growing well, I am noticing some leaves having slight black tips, not sure if over watering or under. I may need to use the old chopstick trick. I am assuming it is over if anything. I am trying to find the right balance with indoor heat and humidity before putting them outside.

The other decision I am trying to make is styling and height. I am most likely going to just let this run wild this year to gain its strength back with fertilizer, but I may try to do some light wiring who knows. my only worry is with the leaves being slightly larger if it is too short and wont compensate well. We will have to see maybe as it grows wider and slightly taller it will look proportional.

Attachments

• 3-3-22.jpg
    3-3-22.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom