BVF EZO SPRUCE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is an Ezo spruce (Picea Jezoensis) I acquired from Brian Van Fleet last June. It originally came from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. I had a very similar one that I killed from a hard styling job last year. Brian knew how much I like these spruces and was aware of the demise of my tree. Knowing this, couple with the fact that he thought that his spruce would be better off long term in a colder climate, he asked if I wanted to buy it. It arrived at my house middle of June with a shattered pot despite it being well packed. I had no choice but to plant it in a plastic pan since it was the only thing I had available of the right size.

The tree arrived in perfect health and it continued to do very well in my garden. I placed it under my arbor in semi shade with the rest of my maples during the summer. Just recently it was moved to a much sunnier spot since now the sun is not so intense.

Below are two pictures of when the tree first arrived at my garden and right after it was replanted in the plastic pan.

A while back all wires were taken off with the exception of the apex. Gradually branches have gotten out of their positions. Spruce are notorious for their "bad memory". Next year it will be rewired entirely once again. I have had a chance to study this tree more carefully lately, and I am getting interested in exploring a styling option using what was originally meant to be the back. It does have a large chop from this angle but perhaps it can be carved and made into a feature. Below is how the tree looks now with the original "back" facing us.

One of the hallmarks of this tree is its great flaring base only partially visible in the photo.

The tree is full of buds everywhere evidence of its health and expert care Brian gave this tree.

As said previously I am considering using the back as the new front. Below are a couple of sketches done from the front and back of the tree. The second sketch is the one done from the present back which makes use of the slight movement of the trunk. The first sketch is from the tree's current front which presents a more formal style. I am also considering a rectangular container once it gets repotted in 2017.

In any case, I will wait until next year to style this really nice spruce with its stocky frame and beautiful flaring base.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
very nice base indeed. being so healthy, is it necesarry to wait till next year?
about know should be good time no? or maybe too late where you are?
would love to see it fully wired

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it would be safe to wire it now...last repot was in 2012, last pruning was fall 2014, and it grew plenty well this year. It's really a matter of personal preference: how strong does he want the tree to be going into the styling, and does it have growth where he wants it yet?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Admittedly I crashed and burned badly with my other Ezo so I am perhaps being extra cautious with this one. Yes I'm sure ok to wire now (and I will take Brian's word for it) but even safer next year :rolleyes: Also hoping for good extension at the apex next spring since it does need more foliage up top. In need this guy ready because I will need to open a can of whoop a$$ when is time!

You'll noticed that in my sketches I am hinting a downward facing deadwood. I plan on achieving this by taking pieces from my other Ezo and "grafting" them into place. I knew it was a good idea to keep it for some future use :rolleyes:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't wait to see the new styling,love these trees,I know its in good hands.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Nothing much at the moment except happy to say that the tree is doing very well. I repotted it this spring into a Chinese container which I like but most likely it will not be the final pot as I intend to use some sort of slab for it. The tree is looking strong with the exception of the apex which is somewhat weak. Hopefully it will continue to gain strength. This fall I may wire some of the main branches in place but leave all detail wiring for next year.

The new growth is soft and beautiful! All areas have budded well including the interior parts.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
That looks very healthy, looks like you didnt pinch anything yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you change your mind about the front?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right after I took the pics, I pinched back the strongest shoots. I left alone the apex and the interior areas.
Hmm...

Mach, I think this is one of those trees that shouldn't be pinched. I'm going to see Boon next week, I'll ask him.

I say this because of my experience with a Colorado Blue Spruce. I took a little yamadori CBS to a Larry Jackel workshop. He taught me how to pinch it so that you remove the growing tip wirhout damaging the other new needles.

A couple weeks later, I went to Boon's and I mentioned to him how I learned about pinching CBS. Boon shook his head, and said, "Don't pinch". So I was confused! Boon says it really weaken the tree. Instead, let them grow out, then later cut back, just like juniper! Cutting back causes the backbudding, not pinching.

So... I had, under Jackel's instruction, pinched every tip.

A year later, the tree died.

Did it die because of my pinching? I'll never know. But, if I ever get another one, it's not getting pinched!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking great Serg. I like that tree; great base, bark, foliage, and even fragrance. You'll do great things with it.
As for pinching, I didn't do any. I did trim some long shoots back in late summer, but only to formed buds.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking great Serg. I like that tree; great base, bark, foliage, and even fragrance. You'll do great things with it.
As for pinching, I didn't do any. I did trim some long shoots back in late summer, but only to formed buds.
Exactly. I do the same with my Atlas Cedar.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well to clarify I cut back not pinch. However should I have waited a bit longer?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well to clarify I cut back not pinch. However should I have waited a bit longer?
I suspect it's just fine to do it now. It will be interesting if it results in a second flush of growth in those areas.

With this tree, I tended to do a major operation a year, and let it pump up for a while:
2011: first major prune; removed 70%
2012: first major repot, bare-root, 70% root reduction and out of organic soil, then let it rest for a full year.
2013: first wiring, let it go most of the year trying to leave as much foliage as long as I could.
2014: Prune, and second wiring.
2015: shipped to better home!

It seems to set lots of buds along the new shoots, so you can always cut back to something viable later. If you're planning to wire it in the fall/winter, I'd probably leave it alone until then so it's plenty strong.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Bri! I cut back only but the strongest shoots on the outer perimeter. Yes the plan is to let it be until wire time possibly later in the year. Whatever I do, I am taking the slow road with it. :)

Incidentally, the repotting was done just to fit it into the pot and nothing too aggressive was done.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, I went rough on the roots when I repotted it in 2012...but it didn't miss a beat, and you should never have to go that rough on them again. It was in a 5-gal can, and Brent thought it had been in it for 20 years. It was crazy dense.
Just for fun, here are some photos to go with the major work done...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Top Bottom