USDA Zone
10a
I dug this tree in Tehacapi CA in 1995 training started in 1999
yesterday was time for a little trimming and wiring
Before-
file-34.jpg

After-

file-36.jpg

I'll be showing this next spring at the CA Bonsai Society Show.

Attachments

• file-36.jpg
    file-36.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Spectacular tree. Have you ever considered grafting Shimpaku shoots into this tree?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great tree and beautiful styling, Bob. Most def a show tree! Congratulations... I'm jealous.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spectacular tree. Have you ever considered grafting Shimpaku shoots into this tree?
Nooooo. It's a CA Juniper not a shimpaku!:)
I'm not one for grafting. It's just a personal thing for me. I have one CA Juniper that I grafted with Shig Nagatoshi-( Roy's dad) and I've never liked it. I just think that they deserve to keep their own foliage. I know it's a little harder to work with but I feel I need to remain true to the tree if that makes sense.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nooooo. It's a CA Juniper not a shimpaku!:)
I'm not one for grafting. It's just a personal thing for me. I have one CA Juniper that I grafted with Shig Nagatoshi-( Roy's dad) and I've never liked it. I just think that they deserve to keep their own foliage. I know it's a little harder to work with but I feel I need to remain true to the tree if that makes sense.

I agree, Bob. You've done a wonderful job with this tree as far as refining the native foliage. I realize some don't like the look of the course CA growth, but I think it gives it more of a naturalistic, harsh desert environment look to the tree. Shimpaku growth is too refined, IMO, for a tree with lots of deadwood. It's as if the tree was subjected to an extremely harsh life for a while and then things suddenly got better and created this lush dome of thick, green foliage.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree Bob. Is the deadwood/live vein natural or man made?

Reaction score
Add Movement by Removing a Branch

Nice tree, I would consider getting rid of the lower left branch to give the tree more movement and I would also lower the apex.

Attachments

• file-36 Revised.JPG
    file-36 Revised.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 51

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice tree Bob. Is the deadwood/live vein natural or man made?
The deadwood is 98% natural. I cleaned up and defined the lifeline and carved a few cuts,
the rest is Ma Nature

Nice tree, I would consider getting rid of the lower left branch to give the tree more movement and I would also lower the apex.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I agree, Bob. You've done a wonderful job with this tree as far as refining the native foliage. I realize some don't like the look of the course CA growth, but I think it gives it more of a naturalistic, harsh desert environment look to the tree. Shimpaku growth is too refined, IMO, for a tree with lots of deadwood. It's as if the tree was subjected to an extremely harsh life for a while and then things suddenly got better and created this lush dome of thick, green foliage.
Thanks. Most of my trees that feature a lot of deadwood don't have thick lush foliage pads maybe a little more than this one does now.

Nice pot too!
Thanks.You noticed that. It's an old Yamaki pot.

Top Bottom