california bonsai hunting

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
my name is gavin and i want to bonsai hunt in north california do u know of any good spots if u do can u please post adresses looking for costel redwoods and types of pines thank u for your time:confused:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shhh...secrets.

Before you start hunting for nice trees in the wild you should study on after-care. Keeping the tree alive is an integral part of the collection process.

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
ive been in bonsai for 5 years so i know what im doing canu send me in aprivite message on places

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Gavin,

Hate to say it, but that's probably not going to happen. Those of us who collect trees value our spots and usually only share with our close bonsai buddies.
My best advice to you is to join a club if you don't already belong. Volunteer to help the club. Take all the workshops you can. Eventually you'll make the contacts you need to go collecting.
Paul

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Paul is right on that, you will most likely not get the reply you are looking for, at least not in print.

The major why would be, say someone gives you the location, then you AND your buddies go and claen the place out, or worse make a mess of the place and then others are not allowed to go back, either situation and the guy giving out the secrets to the gold mine can't get any more trees collected. Not saying you would do this, but it has happened so many times that you may as well follow Pauls advice.

Remember if yo find trees to collect, make sure you have permission and permits if required for the area. Fights, and arrests have been known to occur when the rules are not followed.

tahoe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9ab
and right now is a VERY dangerous time to be wandering about the hills looking for trees

at least in my neck of the woods

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The major why would be, say someone gives you the location, then you AND your buddies go and claen the place out, or worse make a mess of the place and then others are not allowed to go back, either situation and the guy giving out the secrets to the gold mine can't get any more trees collected."

That's the primary reason you're probably not going to get any decent info.

The other is simple principle (and I am sincerely sorry if this sounds sanctimonious but you will understand after collecting a few trees)-- As a collector, I've done the legwork to find decent sites to collect. I've spent the Saturdays, pulled the ticks, cleared the brush, gotten the permissions, etc. It's part of the process and makes taking that first (or final) tree from that site a lot more meaningful. That investment in intangibles also gives me more incentive to keep the trees I've taken alive. Just sayin' that once you've done the whole nine yards, from scouting, to asking permission and finally digging, you have a lot more sweat equity in the plant you take home.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
and right now is a VERY dangerous time to be wandering about the hills looking for trees

at least in my neck of the woods

Probably true. People are growing things in them thar hills that aren't bonsai... and they're likely to shoot you.:)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know a great collecting spot in Compton, CA. You might want to pack some heat, though. :D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other is simple principle (and I am sincerely sorry if this sounds sanctimonious but you will understand after collecting a few trees)-- As a collector, I've done the legwork to find decent sites to collect...

Hey, this reminds me of something...

I am considering to do some treasure hunting in the Caribbeans (sunken Spanish galleons, and such), my friend has a 50-footer, air-lift, and diving equipment, that we can use.

If any of you knows the location of a sunken member of the Golden Armada, full of Inca gold, precious stones, and the rest of the mother load, would you kindly let me know?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mr. Soos I'll PM you the coordinates, so you can beam us over..:D

Gavin, please don't take our jests as pointing at you, as in another post, this has come up many times in the past so we veterans of the bonsai forums have a tendency to have a little fun when we get a chance, just don't take it as at your expense, we mean no harm, no foul.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr. Soos I'll PM you the coordinates, so you can beam us over..:D

Gavin, please don't take our jests as pointing at you, as in another post, this has come up many times in the past so we veterans of the bonsai forums have a tendency to have a little fun when we get a chance, just don't take it as at your expense, we mean no harm, no foul.

That's true.

When I go collecting in the desert, there is a good chance that after walking 20 miles and looking at trees for a whole day, I will come home empty-handed. So, if I finally spot a decent tree and tag it for collection (GPS makes it easy to find it again), it is not likely that I will just give the location away to the public. There is a lot of legwork involved in this.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, this reminds me of something...

I am considering to do some treasure hunting in the Caribbeans (sunken Spanish galleons, and such), my friend has a 50-footer, air-lift, and diving equipment, that we can use.

If any of you knows the location of a sunken member of the Golden Armada, full of Inca gold, precious stones, and the rest of the mother load, would you kindly let me know?

That right there is funny!

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All the Henderson family wanted to do was hunt for yamadori and look at the burden they picked up...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:D

v517lfpnipej71fj.jpg

Top Bottom