California Candle Pruning

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
When do you all prune black pine candles here? I have 2 mikawas with 4-5 inch candles already, back on the eastcoast i'd be lucky to get candles that strong in a whole growing season.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wow they will be huge i'll try to remember to take some pics this week. Got them from house of bonsai to use for grafting earlier this spring which I did already. Just left them alone to grow and i've never seen candles grow like this they will be higher then my 1 story house if I leave them till then, i'll have to slip pot them or they'll outgrow their pots. Truly franken pines.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beng,

If you are afraid they will grow too strong, and thicken the branchlets too much, you can perform "candle breaking". That is, break the candle off in approximately half (or wherever you choose) as long as you leave some needles. This will slow the growth while still allowing the tree to build energy.

Then, as was suggested, decandle in June or July. Decandle large trees earlier in the season so they can grow longer needles on the summer candles. Shohin, decandle late. That way their needles will be short.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Beng,

If you are afraid they will grow too strong, and thicken the branchlets too much, you can perform "candle breaking". That is, break the candle off in approximately half (or wherever you choose) as long as you leave some needles. This will slow the growth while still allowing the tree to build energy.

Then, as was suggested, decandle in June or July. Decandle large trees earlier in the season so they can grow longer needles on the summer candles. Shohin, decandle late. That way their needles will be short.

Thanks, i'll need to decide what i'm going to do with them before I do either. Since I just bought them for grafting I don't really have any plans for them yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the candles are moving, you can't use those for grafting this year.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
When do you all prune black pine candles here? I have 2 mikawas with 4-5 inch candles already, back on the eastcoast i'd be lucky to get candles that strong in a whole growing season.

Im on the eastcoast and I routinely get 2 foot candles on my developing pines in pond baskets.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Too late for grafting this year anyhow. I prune candles starting in late June on bigger trees and up to mid July on the smaller ones. I don't usaully have to break candles before- except once in awhile in the upper section to keep branches from thickening too much.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Candles on some pines have been moving here since Feb. it's been such a mild (nonexistent) winter.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Thanks guys, i've already used this material for grafting back in Jan, whats been growing like crazy is the leftover. It's grown very fast since then perhaps due to the missing buds I removed for grafting. I'll check out that article mentioned as well.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Top Bottom