California Coastal Live Oak

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks to Milehigh and PaulH, I now know what kind of oak I have. It is a coastal live oak which was collected by a friend of mine in the Santa Maria area of northern California about 15 years ago. I bought it from him 5 years ago. I repotted it, changed to a new front, and chopped the top off and make an entirely new apex. It grew about a foot this Spring already. I just pruned it back last week. It is 30 in. tall now. Enjoy.

Attachments

• oak before.jpg
    oak before.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Oak for BNut.jpg
    Oak for BNut.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
It is a Beauty Si! I am really starting to like the strength that oaks possess.

Yeah, me too. I am into my oak phase now. Can't get them out of my mind. I am working on a killer cork oak forest. I think I've got enough trees for a big forest. Is there is any type of native cork oak from California or USA?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cork oak, Quercus suber, is a European native. I don't think there are any North American native oaks that produce the same kind of bark.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
nice oak tree si !
what's your soil mix ?

Hi Art, for this tree I used mostly a commercial brand cactus mix, which listed a content of aged fir barks, redwood compost, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, sand, lava rocks, and pumice. And then I mix in a little bit more lava rocks, akadama, and turface. I don't have a specific recipe, I just throw in whatever is at hand. I could have used 100% cactus mix too. A component of decomposed organic matter is good for oaks. My oaks are very healthy. A 100% inorganic mix would dry out too fast in my area.

Not all commercial brands of cactus mix are good, so I can't recommend it in general. I am lucky to have a local nursery that carry a good brand of cactus mix (E.B. Stone mix for cactus, palm and succulents). It's cheap! It has really tiny composted barks in it, and small sized lava rocks and minimal pumice and sand. I use it straight out of the bag for most of my trees and bonsai. The secret is to keep the cactus mix moist before you use it. Don't use it if it is too dry, because you can never get the bark moist again once it is in your bonsai pot.

Top Bottom