California Fan Palm "Bonsai"?

ganja

Seedling
Reaction score
If you live here in California you will see at least one of these guys growing out of an old sign post hole or a crack in the sidewalk. These palms grow anywhere there's dirt and water. Knowing that there some really tough plants i decided to pull one out of the local train tracks(thats right. it was growing in crushed rocks) and put it into a pot. Has anyone ever tried to bonsai a palm tree? I know you cant trim the top down or anything but i was wondering if anyone has kept one of these guys in a small bonsai pot for a few years. :cool:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you live here in California you will see at least one of these guys growing out of an old sign post hole or a crack in the sidewalk. These palms grow anywhere there's dirt and water. Knowing that there some really tough plants i decided to pull one out of the local train tracks(thats right. it was growing in crushed rocks) and put it into a pot. Has anyone ever tried to bonsai a palm tree? I know you cant trim the top down or anything but i was wondering if anyone has kept one of these guys in a small bonsai pot for a few years. :cool:

Sago palms yes. Fan plams...errr no. These grow very fast and really big. So much so that a 25 gallon pot would probably split after 6 years.

ganja

Seedling
Reaction score
The one i got was only big enough to fit in my pocket. I walked across it on my way down the tracks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you already know, you cannot really "bonsai" a palm. They cannot be kept small with the same techniques used for woody plants, like pines, maples, etc. Primarily, that's because their growth is completely different.

Pruning a most palms can kill them. Their leaf growth is directed by a growth "eye" AT THE END OF THE LEAF. That is 180 degrees different than a pine or maple, where growth is started and controlled by a leaf bud at the stem end of the leaf.

All that boils down to "prune a palm leaf and you kill the leaf." If you prune a maple stem or leaf, it stimulates more budding below the cut because there are more buds on the trunk meant as replacements.

Additionally, palms send leaves out from a central point on their trunk--they do not branch. They can generate "pups" from their trunks, but only certain species do that.

Some palms can--and have (Sagos and phoenix palms in particular) been "bonsaied" but they are not top pruned. Rather, their growth is controlled through root restriction.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Articles/BonsaiPalms.html
http://www.fukubonsai.com/3a3f.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom