California Junier - repotting

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
It's a very nice day here in California for repotting. So I repotted this Juniper that I have it about few years ago. Will do wiring next weekend if I have time. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy,

--D

Juniper-mono-2014-report.jpg

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice tree, it is a beautiful day today it got up close to 90 in west LA the winds are drying my stuff out fast the past 2 days though!

Did you collect it?

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice tree, it is a beautiful day today it got up close to 90 in west LA the winds are drying my stuff out fast the past 2 days though!

Did you collect it?

It was collected by David N. I got it few years ago.

--D

Reaction score
When you go to wire... really crank everything in tight.
Concentrate on making the most compacted foliage design as possible.
And when you are finished... sit back and ponder how you can make it
even more compact.

Also... I know you just repotted, But In the end you are going to squeezing
your tree into a pot about a quarter of that size if done right.

Last edited:

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
When you go to wire... really crank everything in tight.
Concentrate on making the most compacted foliage design as possible.
And when you are finished... sit back and ponder how you can make it
even more compact.

Also... I know you just repotted, But In the end you are going to squeezing
your tree into a pot about a quarter of that size if done right.

Thanks and you are right. That pot is considering a training pot. It takes time to find a right pot that match your bonsai nowadays.

--D

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd be really careful with the winds- they'll be blowing all week. Keeping the soil moist isn't going to help the foliage from drying out in these winds. I's also wait at least several months now before wiring. The stress of wiring will cause all kinds of movement in the roots no matter how well its tied to the pot. I wire and repot all the time but do the wiring first.

Reaction score
I'd be really careful with the winds- they'll be blowing all week. Keeping the soil moist isn't going to help the foliage from drying out in these winds. I's also wait at least several months now before wiring. The stress of wiring will cause all kinds of movement in the roots no matter how well its tied to the pot. I wire and repot all the time but do the wiring first.

I agree... always wire first then repot.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a Kimura-ish style. :cool: Is the live vein separated from the deadwood then brought down?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yesterday and today I had to water twice its the first time this year. Damned winds.

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score

Many thanks for your excellent input. Will wait for wiring...

Best,
--D

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree. As mentioned earlier. I would wait until maybe late Spring or even Fall to wire this tree.

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a Kimura-ish style. :cool: Is the live vein separated from the deadwood then brought down?

Yes Sir.

--D

Question for everyone (but esp Dinh).

In this case, is it bad to try and graft the looped top to the live vein at the bottom with the goal of removing the loop portion eventually?

Or is the loop an integral part of the design?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the loop. I've been imagining doing something similar, but have not the skills.

This juniper reminds me of ikebana.

Last edited:

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Is it better with square, round, rectangular or oval pot?

Thanks,
-Dinh

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
That is beautiful tree! I absolutely love that shari, it looks like this tree has a bright future!

Top Bottom