California Juniper - need design ideas

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here so please take it easy on me;-))

I have this California Juniper for quite some time, plan to re-design it. Since many bonsai masters here, I would love to hear your design idea or any suggestion. Here are few pictures.

Thanks much in advance.

Best,
--D

Attachments

• JuniperB0.jpg
    JuniperB0.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 258
  • JuniperB3.jpg
    JuniperB3.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 287

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I would have difficulty changing the design style of this tree. The photograph has kind of a busy background so its hard to see all that is there. There are a couple of jins that could be removed or reshaped and the pads could be better defined, but other than that, I think the design decisions have already been made. If it were mine, I would leave it alone for a few seasons and allow the foliage to gain vigor. Furthermore, I like its basic shape as is, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it.

Last edited:

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the input.

Since the trunk is small in comparison to the height. Shall it better with Bunjin instead of Cascade style?

Best,
--D

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice tree Dinh! Nice pot too.

You don't have too many options at this point. It has to be a bunjin. I would pick a slightly different front closer to the second pic. Then split the 2 live veins on top and move them. You could probably design this tree with just the lowest branch too but I can't see it well from these 2 pics so I don't know to recommend that or not. Probably not. It is best to save every branch and work with them all at this point. Here's how I see it possibly in 5 years. You should not aim for a fat dome on your final design, because you will never get it anyway. California junipers can look very beautiful on really thin and sparse foliage pads.
Good luck!

Attachments

• JuniperB3 new front.jpg
    JuniperB3 new front.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Dinh's Cali Juniper 4-30-12 sketch.jpg
    Dinh's Cali Juniper 4-30-12 sketch.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 137

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta ask, why would you want to change that spectacular tree?

Si Nguyen, great design you came up with, great drawing too.

ed

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would go with a bunjin too - Si's sketch is right on the money, and you won't have to do all that much to have a really nice tree.

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think I would have difficulty changing the design style of this tree. The photograph has kind of a busy background so its hard to see all that is there. There are a couple of jins that could be removed or reshaped and the pads could be better defined, but other than that, I think the design decisions have already been made. If it were mine, I would leave it alone for a few seasons and allow the foliage to gain vigor. Furthermore, I like its basic shape as is, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it.

Thanks much for your comments Barry. I got this juniper 5 years ago and there was almost no foliage at all. I will try to find the picture when I first got it. I have done some basic work to strive out the jins and shari, but the basic framework was as is. Thanks again Barry.

--D

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
I gotta ask, why would you want to change that spectacular tree?

ed

Thanks Ed. I always love to make things better. And hope after re-design, it will be much better ;-))

--D

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice tree Dinh! Nice pot too.

You don't have too many options at this point. It has to be a bunjin. I would pick a slightly different front closer to the second pic. Then split the 2 live veins on top and move them. You could probably design this tree with just the lowest branch too but I can't see it well from these 2 pics so I don't know to recommend that or not. Probably not. It is best to save every branch and work with them all at this point. Here's how I see it possibly in 5 years. You should not aim for a fat dome on your final design, because you will never get it anyway. California junipers can look very beautiful on really thin and sparse foliage pads.
Good luck!

Thanks much for your detail comments and suggestions. Your sketch is beautiful Si. Did not know you are also a sketch artist as well ;-))

Glad you like the pot too. But I have this pot for the last 5 years for training purpose. Do you think it is too tall for Bunjin style?

Thanks,
--D

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
During my visit to a Southern Calfornia bonsai place last month, I picked this pot.
Will it do fine for this Cal Juniper?

Thanks,
--DinhIn-Progress-p.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That pot should work fine if you can get the roots into it. I'm guessing you are in So. Cal. - if so you're going to miss the repotting window this season if you don't do it really soon.
Nice tree.

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am here in NorCal, I plan to repot next year after some restyling work this year.

--Dinh

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That will work fine then. Love to see it after restyling and potting.

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

BTW, I thought early spring is still a good time for repot?

--Dinh

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
restyling ..

Started working on this Cal-Juniper last weekend. Here is a few pix.

InProgress1.jpgInProgress2.jpg

--Dinh

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Bob,

BTW, I thought early spring is still a good time for repot?

--Dinh
It is but here(Northridge) early spring is before mid April most years.
By than the only things I haven't repotted are cedars which I do late April early May and Tropicals.

dinh

Yamadori
Reaction score
As of today.

Still in progress.

Let me know what do you think?

Many thanks,
--Dinh

Cal-Juniper-04-01-13.jpg

Top Bottom