California Juniper Reinvented

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My dad had this tree for 25 years and never did anything with it. I had it for 9 years and never did anything with it. It was probably because the tree was just bad and no obvious direction to take the tree. It did have nice dead wood but all the foliage was to the side and way above the deadwood. About 2 years ago I decided to detach the live vein from the dead wood and bend down and around to frame the deadwood. I actually detached the vein 2 years ago but just fully wire the tree in the last week. Still has a long way to go but I am pretty happy with it. The back looks a little funny but I'm not too worried about it. I post pics of the back in a little while.

20180512_170102.jpg20180526_165654.jpgIMG_20210224_200359_386.jpgIMG_20210224_200359_380.jpg

Attachments

• 20180512_170232.jpg
    20180512_170232.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 24

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow! That's some serious Magician level work there. Ryan Neil sometimes does this and he most likely learned it from Kimura. The tree certainly is going to be better for it now that the foliage is brought in to the rest of the tree.

I am curious to see what the back looks like though. As it is, you can't see any live vein from this view. Some might think it to be a Tanuki.

Did you have experience separating live vein from a tree previously?

Bravo!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! That's some serious Magician level work there. Ryan Neil sometimes does this and he most likely learned it from Kimura. The tree certainly is going to be better for it now that the foliage is brought in to the rest of the tree.

I am curious to see what the back looks like though. As it is, you can't see any live vein from this view. Some might think it to be a Tanuki.

Did you have experience separating live vein from a tree previously?

Bravo!
Thanks. Here is the back view. 20210223_175334.jpg

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My dad had this tree for 25 years and never did anything with it. I had it for 9 years and never did anything with it. It was probably because the tree was just bad and no obvious direction to take the tree. It did have nice dead wood but all the foliage was to the side and way above the deadwood. About 2 years ago I decided to detach the live vein from the dead wood and bend down and around to frame the deadwood. I actually detached the vein 2 years ago but just fully wire the tree in the last week. Still has a long way to go but I am pretty happy with it. The back looks a little funny but I'm not too worried about it. I post pics of the back in a little while.

View attachment 356782View attachment 356784View attachment 356786View attachment 356787
That is some mind-blowing work! Great job! Did you show it to your dad????

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is some mind-blowing work! Great job! Did you show it to your dad????
Unfortunately my dad passed 11 years ago. I didn't get into bonsai until I had to start taking care of his 20 or so trees after he passed. After two years of doing a bad job, I started really getting into it. Thanks for the compliment. If I'm being honest, it really wasn't that hard separating the live vein. It was just a matter of taking it slow and being careful.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I actually like the back as the front, TBH. With the current front, you don't see any live vein and it almost reads like a Tanuki. I think with the bold move you made, rather than hiding the the looping trunk, why not make it the focus? I would consider reducing the large piece of deadwood that goes straight up though. It's rather featureless and has no taper. But with the back as the front, it reminds me of this tree of Bob Shimon's that Ryan Neil styled:

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually like the back as the front, TBH. With the current front, you don't see any live vein and it almost reads like a Tanuki. I think with the bold move you made, rather than hiding the the looping trunk, why not make it the focus? I would consider reducing the large piece of deadwood that goes straight up though. It's rather featureless and has no taper. But with the back as the front, it reminds me of this tree of Bob Shimon's that Ryan Neil styled:

I've thought about the current back as a front and although I'm not leaning that direction right now it may end up being the best option. With the current front you will see the live vein on the lower right of the trunk. Thanks for the input.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Unfortunately my dad passed 11 years ago. I didn't get into bonsai until I had to start taking care of his 20 or so trees after he passed. After two years of doing a bad job, I started really getting into it. Thanks for the compliment. If I'm being honest, it really wasn't that hard separating the live vein. It was just a matter of taking it slow and being careful.
Sorry to hear about your dad, but nice that you got into the hobby by taking care of the legacy he left.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I hope I did not upset you when I inquired if he had the chance to see the changes of the tree.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First off, congrats to you and your dad for keeping it alive for so long. Secondly, you had an amazing vision to turn it into what you have. I didn't see that coming when I looked at the tree in the first frame. For the record, I prefer your chosen front. Great job, and looking forward to seeing its progress.

Do you know what kind of juniper this is?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, congrats to you and your dad for keeping it alive for so long. Secondly, you had an amazing vision to turn it into what you have. I didn't see that coming when I looked at the tree in the first frame. For the record, I prefer your chosen front. Great job, and looking forward to seeing its progress.

Do you know what kind of juniper this is?

I would have been impressed if you came up with something similar to my idea in a few minutes. I'm sure there are many experienced bonsai guys that could have seen that instantly but it took me about 7 years. This is a California Juniper.

Top Bottom