California Juniper Repot with JC

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I finally got around to repotting a few Cal Junipers and I just want to share what I did and maybe others can add comments.

This is an interesting twisted California Juniper that I collected in January 2009. I don't like to wait too long to get these plants into bonsai pots because, if they're healthy, the roots will start to wrap around your typical black nursery pot.

When I collect Cal Junipers, I think in terms of putting the tree in a bonsai pot. Here is the Juniper out of the nursery pot, note that all of the mountain soil has been removed along with any thick roots. Cal Junipers have thick white tips at the end of healthy growing roots. These roots break easily so I try to be as careful as possible when combing them out, but usually there are enough roots that it doesn't matter.

Some people cut the roots back, however, I try to keep as many as possible. And even though I had cut off all the thick roots initially, something always needs to be trimmed to get the tree in the bonsai pot. So when I trim the bottom, I always lose more white tipped roots.

When I put the tree in the bonsai pot, there are always some little roots that stick out of the top. I can't bury everything so over time, these roots will dry out and I'll just cut them off.

This picture was taken in December 2011 and the tree is still doing fine today (April 2012). I've graphed Shimpaku (Kishu) on the branches which has taken and I'm waiting for it to get stronger before removing the native foliage.

This tree is a bit unusual but I really like the twisting branches and we'll see what can be done with it in the next few months.

I have a few more trees I'll share as soon as I get time to post.

Your Bonsai Buddy
JC

TwistedCalJuniper1.jpgTwistedCalJuniper2.jpgTwistedCalJuniper4.jpgTwistedCalJuniper5.jpgTwistedCalJuniper6.jpg

Top Bottom