California Juniper, short and stout

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
A friend gave me this California Juniper about 3 years ago, because it wasn't doing well in her yard. I think it's because she has too much shade.
I immediately repotted it and crossed my fingers. As expected, it was slow to respond, but respond it did. Today I've been doing a little trimming, cleaning up the jin and shari, and applying lime-sulfer. No wire yet. That will be the last thing done before showing it. For now all training is by pinching to promote more new growth.

The height from pot rim is about 18 inches. Circumference of trunk about 22 inches.

Mike

Attachments

• valcaljun-09rs.jpg
    valcaljun-09rs.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 133

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Mike, Thats going to be a nice tree! I would love to have a California Juniper but my climate would probably kill it. Damn shame too. There's nothing like collected trees like these with the natural driftwood.The Shimpaku of America! There was one on eBay of all places that was't bad that sold for a little over $400. It was 25" tall. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• untitled 1.jpg
    untitled 1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 94

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mike, Mike, Mike, for crying out loud, when are you going to show us a good tree.:D:D:D

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
That one has more foliage on it than the rest of his trees combined.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
You do realize Mike , this means war !!!!!!! BTW , very nice tree , I'm sooooooo jealous

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have to do this too Mike, make sure the damned little rodent critters don't know the song and tip it over and pour it out.;)

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Just suppose

it eventually looked like this?

Attachments

• valcaljun-09virt.jpg
    valcaljun-09virt.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 42

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Mike, Thats going to be a nice tree! I would love to have a California Juniper but my climate would probably kill it. Damn shame too. There's nothing like collected trees like these with the natural driftwood.The Shimpaku of America! There was one on eBay of all places that was't bad that sold for a little over $400. It was 25" tall. Here's a pic.

Very nice tree, a little shari lower on the trunk would help it look even better.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom