California juniper

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
One of my favorite bonsai. I won it as collected stock in a convention raffle many years ago. It was donated by the great Harry Hirao. Height including pot is about 40 inches.
I've been doing some minor trimming and general cleanup today. .
mike page

Joined date: 2009-01-19

Attachments

• caljun-2011.jpg
    caljun-2011.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 392

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Mike ,
are you gonna let this one grow out a bit. With that trunk it's hard to see it as literrati.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It's a beautiful trunk but I agree it would look better with more foliage.

Paul

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice tight foliage for a California Juni. Mine are much leggier. Almost looks like a shimpaku graft.

I was going to say Sarah Raynor pot, but the blue has me confused.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Nice tight foliage for a California Juni. Mine are much leggier. Almost looks like a shimpaku graft.

I was going to say Sarah Raynor pot, but the blue has me confused.

It's pure California. No grafts.
The pot was made by Sarah especially for this tree.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With that nice large trunk,you might want to grow the tree more vertical,with some nice branching,instead of pulling the top down.Just my two cents.

Reaction score
mike, I really like your juniper... I think where everyone is going with their sugeestions of more foilage, is that it seems rather light in comparision to the heaviness of the trunk... rather than increasing one's foilage, you could also hollow out a little more of the trunk... a little bit of swiss cheese effect, would make it feel a little more airy.
Have to say you have done a very nice job !!! Love the pot!!!

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Mike this is a great example of a Cal. Juniper and coming from you and Harry I would expect nothing less. No critique from me just appreciation.

Cheers

Ash

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

Very nice tree. To me this looks like the tree has survived a near death event and has recovered from it. I think it tells a good story and maybe only needs a bit more extension of the branches, but without upward movement. I do like the tightness of the foliage and I think that the natural deadwood looks great. It is very unique.

Thanks for sharing.
Ray

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a sharp specimen you have there! I really love it just the way it is, good job.

ed

Top Bottom