California Juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If my memory serves me correctly, this was a California juniper that several of us at Boon's Intensive wired on in June of 2005. These trees are always a puzzle to wire well, and a real challenge and learning experience.

Attachments

• Juniperfront01.jpg
    Juniperfront01.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Juniperside01.jpg
    Juniperside01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Juniperback01.jpg
    Juniperback01.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 64

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice looking tree. Surprisingly thick foilage for a California Juniper. Almost looks like a Shimpaku.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking tree. Surprisingly thick foilage for a California Juniper. Almost looks like a Shimpaku.

From such a distance, it does look like a shimpaku. Californias tighten up quite well, from what I can see at Boon's. This tree was exhibited in the 2003 World Bonsai Contest. (Note: it's not the same tree).

2003_13.jpg

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These trees are always a puzzle to wire well, and a real challenge
I don't get it. Are you talking techniquly or from an artistic approach. What makes them more of a challenge than any other Juniper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't get it. Are you talking techniquly or from an artistic approach. What makes them more of a challenge than any other Juniper.

With yamadori, the chanllenge to wire is technical. Of course styling the tree is an artistic pursuit, but putting wire on well is an art in and of itself. Figuring out where to route your wires, how to use just enough and avoid crossing wires, etc. There are challenges on these branches that you won't find on a fairly well-groomed tree.

This is a close-up of a portion I had to wire. This was about my third Intensive.

Attachments

• wire diagram.jpg
    wire diagram.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops, here are the completed views. As always, please remember that these workshop photos are not up to display standards.

Attachments

• Juniperfront02.jpg
    Juniperfront02.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Juniperside02.jpg
    Juniperside02.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Juniperback02.jpg
    Juniperback02.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 52

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You have handled the challange well Chris.

Yamadori tend to sway from the groomed trees in the structure / branching rules, we are using wild grown trees for thier age, deformaties, stunted(ness), in general rugged appearance. It's kind of a trade off between the naturalistic ruggedness, and the typical artfull styling.

Throw on top of that the age of many yamadori trees often makes bending some branches impossible or risky at the best ( can you say snap). Often a small branch on old stunted juni's could have been set in place for many years, and won't move easily.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't think I did all the work on this tree, I wired about half of it. Here's another shot showing the size.

Attachments

• Junipercoke.jpg
    Junipercoke.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom