California junipers for sale

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I have heard that they die slow deaths at the National Arboretum but do OK in the New England areas."

"There are some nice California Junipers here in the Portland area"

Formula for Cal. Junipers in the east--heat + humidity+lack of persistent winter cold = early death. Yes, it is considerably hotter and more humid here in the East than on the West Coast. Here in Wash. D.C. we are in the same growing zone as Dallas, Tex. We get roller coaster winters with alot of rain and semi-cold conditions, then plunging to teens. The East Coast is an extreme environment for a desert plant used to dry, arid climates with consistent temperatures (high daytime, low nighttime)...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have to say that I lost an RMJ here in the N.E., as Mr Lenz says , if you keep one here(we live close) you pot it up, put it on the bench, and water the ground under it twice a week, and thats enough. Too wet and humid here for em. Anybody need a tanuki starter?

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
So we deesert rats get to grow nice junies but can't grow maples. Hmmmmm , not a bad trade

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We get roller coaster winters with alot of rain and semi-cold conditions, then plunging to teens. The East Coast is an extreme environment for a desert plant used to dry, arid climates with consistent temperatures (high daytime, low nighttime)...

It all makes sense except the winter cold, and the night-time lows. Here in Los Angeles, there is not much winter cold at all (it rarely even approaches freezing), and the nights can very warm sometines. And yet, the junipers are doing just as well as in the nearby desert, where the temperatures are more extreme. The only constant here throughout the year is the total lack of humidity in the air.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila,

By winter cold, I mean roller coaster cold. We have days in Jan. where it might be almost 60. The next week, it could be 0. Plus we get alot of moisture --not snow, but rain, ALOT of rain.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I think that California Junipers can thrive in a variety of climates. The important factor is the environment you provide for them.
For instance,I live in the city of South San Francisco, CA, about 10 miles south of downtown San Francisco, and about 3 or so miles east of the Pacific Ocean. The weather here is often foggy, windy and humid. Just about as far removed from the desert environment as can be. My California Junipers thrive here. As with any bonsai, especially conifers, it's about soil mix, watering habits, nutrition, and exposure to as much light as possible.
The attached image is a Cal Jun I've owned since 2000. Lush, healthy foliage.

Mike

Attachments

• caljun-11-resize-1.jpg
    caljun-11-resize-1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 51

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila,

By winter cold, I mean roller coaster cold. We have days in Jan. where it might be almost 60. The next week, it could be 0. Plus we get alot of moisture --not snow, but rain, ALOT of rain.

Yes, the desert climate is rather consistent in many ways. The unpredictable climate from your description could well be a great stress on the Cal. juniper.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that California Junipers can thrive in a variety of climates. The important factor is the environment you provide for them.
For instance,I live in the city of South San Francisco, CA, about 10 miles south of downtown San Francisco, and about 3 or so miles east of the Pacific Ocean. The weather here is often foggy, windy and humid. Just about as far removed from the desert environment as can be. My California Junipers thrive here. As with any bonsai, especially conifers, it's about soil mix, watering habits, nutrition, and exposure to as much light as possible.

Mike

....but there is never warm and humid at the same time. Cool and humid is good for almost any plant in this world.
But hot and humid is a killer for many non-tropicals.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
....but there is never warm and humid at the same time. Cool and humid is good for almost any plant in this world.
But hot and humid is a killer for many non-tropicals.

and there you go.....

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Mike

Mike,

This is just marginally relevant (maybe even less) to this topic, but looking at the magnificent trunk of your Cali. juniper, I wanted to ask you this: what is a good brand of chainsaw available in our neck of the woods, that you recommend for carving. Last weekend I was carving a large grape vine with my chainsaw, and it wasn't pretty: oil dripping everywhere, and just too rough for a fine work. I somehow got the job done, but I was thinking that there must be a better chainsaw out there for this kind of job. I do have a dremel tool as well, but for the heavy duty carving, the Arbortech was just too small. Chainsaw was way better. I know that you are the resident termite of this forum, so I thought that I ask you.

Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Atilla

Find an old McCulloh (Damn now I can't remember how to spell it:rolleyes:) They had a manual oiling button so you control how much oil the chain gets. New a guy who used them for quartering elk since he wouldn't contaminate the meat by not oiling at all.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Atilla

Find an old McCulloh (Damn now I can't remember how to spell it:rolleyes:) They had a manual oiling button so you control how much oil the chain gets. New a guy who used them for quartering elk since he wouldn't contaminate the meat by not oiling at all.

Hey, Steve, thanks for the tip. I didn't know that you can control the oil supply on certain machines, but it souns like something I need.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You'll probably have to buy a used one. I don't know that they still make them. They also made saws under the Montgomery Ward brand if that helps your search.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Mike,

This is just marginally relevant (maybe even less) to this topic, but looking at the magnificent trunk of your Cali. juniper, I wanted to ask you this: what is a good brand of chainsaw available in our neck of the woods, that you recommend for carving. Last weekend I was carving a large grape vine with my chainsaw, and it wasn't pretty: oil dripping everywhere, and just too rough for a fine work. I somehow got the job done, but I was thinking that there must be a better chainsaw out there for this kind of job. I do have a dremel tool as well, but for the heavy duty carving, the Arbortech was just too small. Chainsaw was way better. I know that you are the resident termite of this forum, so I thought that I ask you.

Hi Attila
Regarding chainsaws, I recommend a quality electric with a short bar, and manual oiling. There's usually a button thats easy to pusn with the thumb on the hand using the trigger. You can easily control the oil so there is sufficient lubrication, but not dripping all over.
I started my carving with an electric chainsaw in 1981. I still have it as the attached image shows. It's a Remington that I've fitted a handle to the bar for better control. I think this is essential for control and safety.
To the right of the saw is the Bosch 27000rpm 1/2 diegrinder, by far my most used power tool. I biught it about 20 years ago, and it has many, many hours on it. Still has the original motor brushes.QUALITY!!
To the right of the Bosch is my 2 inch Milwaukee 14000rpm diegrinder. I use this for large rotating tools that are rated for lower rpm such as the Samurai carver whih shouldn't be used at more than this speed, as that is it's rating. I know folks run it faster than the rated rpm, but that's asking for trouble.
The last tool is an angle grinder fitted with a cutter that has a chain saw configuration.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Regards

Mike

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 47

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mike

Great tools. Didn't mean to hijack the answer just have a saw with a manual oiler and thought I'd throw it out there. Never seen an electric with manual though nice find.

Top Bottom