California junipers for sale

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this place while looking for some info on C. junipers. I have no idea what he has for sale but his prices seem reasonable and he may have larger stock that is inexpensive also. The gallons were fair priced and since many have been looking for a C. juniper to own this may be a way.

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/juniperus-californica

Al

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found this place while looking for some info on C. junipers. I have no idea what he has for sale but his prices seem reasonable and he may have larger stock that is inexpensive also. The gallons were fair priced and since many have been looking for a C. juniper to own this may be a way.

Al

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but--what makes California Junipers so special? Just curious. Also, Al, do you know if they ship, or is it just a walk up only nursery?

Thanks,

Daniel

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

Al

OK, dude, I can't make heads or tails of what the hell he is selling.
I see pictures of big trees, but the plants he is selling are in one gallon pots.
Help me out here, what can I buy ?

Ciao,
Harry

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are landscape trees. Young shrubs in one gallon pots.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've visited this nursery before. Actually there are two nurseries one in the hills above Santa Margarita (near San Luis Obispo, CA) and one in Southern California. The Santa Margarita is mostly wholesale but open to the public on Sat. It is considered one of the foremost native plant nurseries in CA. The web site has been very helpful to my middle school students that designed several native gardens at school.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but--what makes California Junipers so special? Just curious. Also, Al, do you know if they ship, or is it just a walk up only nursery?

Thanks,

Daniel

Because they are obtainable

Attachments

• DSC_00081.JPG
    DSC_00081.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 86

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
BTW: They also offer many varieties of Manzanita. They do ship. I have not done business with them but have spent a bunch of time on their site dreaming and considering purchases.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Daniel they can be hard to get for a number of reasons, especially outside of Cal., then there is the part about they make nice trees. Probably considered to be the U.S.' best material for bonsai.

Did I just give Al his next article?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daniel they can be hard to get for a number of reasons, especially outside of Cal., then there is the part about they make nice trees. Probably considered to be the U.S.' best material for bonsai.

Did I just give Al his next article?

Not from me... but another reason to get to those archives at BT

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score

Thanks,

Daniel

You're kidding, Right?

Californias are the closest thing we've got to the incredible yamadori shimpakus of japan. Many are every bit as good as those old japanese trees.
I don't know many fellow bonsai addicts who don't either have or wish they had a good one in their collection.

Paul

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You're kidding, Right?

Californias are the closest thing we've got to the incredible yamadori shimpakus of japan. Many are every bit as good as those old japanese trees.
I don't know many fellow bonsai addicts who don't either have or wish they had a good one in their collection.

Paul

The kicker is that they are coveted for the trunks, jin and shari. Most all of the good one's I've seen have seen have been grafted with Japanese Itowgawa foilage like mine, so can you still call them California junipers, or something more appropriate like Japafornias or Calinese. If anyone has a nice one with it's own foliage, please post a picture.

Ciao,
Harry

Last edited:

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're kidding, Right?

Paul

Nope, I'm not, Paul. I just didn't know. In all the reading I have done on the subject (bonsai), I haven't run across them. Part of that is that I have just started exploring evergreens, but I also just haven't seen much on them. Now that I know they are so highly regarded, I understand.

Daniel

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're kidding, Right?

Paul

Appearantly you've missed out on Rocky mountain Juniper. nothing against californias but they are definately not the only knockout juniper yamadori in america. Having said that I'd love to have the right california juni as they are sweet trees.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope, I'm not, Paul. I just didn't know. In all the reading I have done on the subject (bonsai), I haven't run across them. Part of that is that I have just started exploring evergreens, but I also just haven't seen much on them. Now that I know they are so highly regarded, I understand.

Daniel

You will find very little on american trees in books unless they are specifically written on american trees. More and more the world is finding out that the US is a treasure trove of material. Ponderosa's, lodpole, california and rocky mountain juniper, vine maple, the list of great native trees goes on and on.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You will find very little on american trees in books unless they are specifically written on american trees. More and more the world is finding out that the US is a treasure trove of material. Ponderosa's, lodpole, california and rocky mountain juniper, vine maple, the list of great native trees goes on and on.

Shush ....keep your voice down!!!! We dont need the rest of the world hornin in on our stash!!!!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The kicker is that they are coveted for the trunks, jin and shari. Most all of the good one's I've seen have seen have been grafted with Japanese Itowgawa foilage like mine, so can you still call them California junipers, or something more appropriate like Japafornias or Calinese. If anyone has a nice one with it's own foliage, please post a picture.

Ciao,
Harry

Grafted Junipers are beautiful and if I had one I wouldn't throw it on the burn pile. But, I believe there is something to be said for maximizing the natural potential of a species without the grafted foliage. Then again I find women with silicone enhanced boobs a little creepy too.
For some of the best, non-grafted Californias just check out Ernie Kuo's trees.
at http://www.geocities.com/erniekuo@sbcglobal.net/

Paul

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Grafted Junipers are beautiful and if I had one I wouldn't throw it on the burn pile. But, I believe there is something to be said for maximizing the natural potential of a species without the grafted foliage. Then again I find women with silicone enhanced boobs a little creepy too.
For some of the best, non-grafted Californias just check out Ernie Kuo's trees.
at http://www.geocities.com/erniekuo@sbcglobal.net/

Paul

I stand corrected, those are excellent examples, thanks.

Ciao,
Harry

Top Bottom