California valley oak transplanting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I found a location that has a very large amount of oak trees ranging from seedlings to mature trees.

I have a few saplings picked out that I'm considering transplanting when the leaves fall off.

My question is this, if I plunge a shouvle around the trunk (about 18 inches from the trunk) to sever the lateral roots will that promote a more dense root ball?
Also, could this method be used on the tap root?

My idea is it would prep the tree for removal at a later time.

Do I have a decent idea, or am Imissing something important?

Thanks in advance, Casey

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
That will probably work. Trenching and cutting off larger roots can encourage finer root growth so that when you do decide to remove the entire tree it will undergo less stress. I'm sure others can chime in with more advice.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
First make sure you have permission to dig. Another thing to remember is many live oaks do best just before buds open, like the 2 or 3 day window when you can tell they are starting. Trenching or at least spading around might be of help...

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm not sure what species you are dealing with but the problem with collecting most oaks is the large, deep tap root. Trenching often does little because there aren't many surface lateral roots. I have had the best success digging in deep from one direction only, disturbing as little soil as possible, and severing the tap root. Then fill back in and wait a year. I have killed trees this way but those that survive have produced a decent root ball. I believe that the larger the tree is the more important it is to do something like this but you will want the largest tree you can get.

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
P1010021.jpg

P1010025_2.jpg

2 big tap roots on this little oak

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
36812963-f0c1-4b3a-b9b0-993f937c302d.jpg

Here is another dinner plate size with a big root. These both were cut 2 years ago this spring. They also have been ditched and backfilled with leaf duff. Ready to go in a week or 2. I'll post these as well as manazinita.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm not sure what species you are dealing with but the problem with collecting most oaks is the large, deep tap root. Trenching often does little because there aren't many surface lateral roots. I have had the best success digging in deep from one direction only, disturbing as little soil as possible, and severing the tap root. Then fill back in and wait a year. I have killed trees this way but those that survive have produced a decent root ball. I believe that the larger the tree is the more important it is to do something like this but you will want the largest tree you can get.
I'll take a few pics of the trees there. By all means I'd rather get one that's larger. Something around 3-4 inch diameter would be awesome. I'm imagining about a 5 foot tall final product. Ohh they are
Quercus lobata btw

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Quercus lobata is the species in reference AKA California valley oak (that's what I've always heard them called).
I think I'll go after the tap root first then.
I would enjoy a larger one due to the fact that my target size will be about 4-5 feet tall.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Quercus lobata is the species in reference AKA California valley oak (that's what I've always heard them called).
I would enjoy a larger one due to the fact that my target size will be about 4-5 feet tall.

It couldn't hurt to try a number of different sizes as the smaller they are the easier it is. 4 or5 feet is pretty big for a bonsai

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Quercus lobata is a great species, and I hope it works out for you; they have great leaves.

I purchased one in a pot once, and even just cutting the escaped root to separate the pot from the ground was enough to send it into a death spiral :(

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
NM is way outside the natural range of Q lobata. They need a ton of water and prefer thick organic soil in their native habitat. The leaves on this tree look a lot like Q turbinella. I saw a ton of those hiking around the Four Corners area and would’ve killed for one. Can’t find acorns or plants to buy anywhere.

I have found the western oaks dig up better in late winter. They just shrivel up when collected in warm weather.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
NM is way outside the natural range of Q lobata. They need a ton of water and prefer thick organic soil in their native habitat. The leaves on this tree look a lot like Q turbinella. I saw a ton of those hiking around the Four Corners area and would’ve killed for one. Can’t find acorns or plants to buy anywhere.

I've got three Q lobata. They grow like weeds - literally - here in SoCal, as long as you keep them watered.

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've got three Q lobata. They grow like weeds - literally - here in SoCal, as long as you keep them watered.
They must love the heat in OC. Here in the Bay Area, they grow weakly by the coast but get huge in the hotter areas like Livermore and Sunol.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That looks like a coast live oak, not a valley. Valley oak leaves have “fingers”. They grow like crazy here in the bay area.

Q. Agrifolia

Edit: just saw this thread is a few years old.

Top Bottom