@armetisius

View attachment 102124

These leaves oughta be out soon.

Sorce

From the juvenile bark & all twisted? Not really for sure
but given that it is you, and you just id'd one above treated
the same, I would say given the title of the post a red maple;
HOWEVER, [knowing your sense of humor] it is probably
amur instead. We will know as soon as those leaves expand.
One rusty petiole is all you need for certainty. Something just
does not seem "right" about those extending buds. Maybe its
just the regional climatic diffs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something just
does not seem "right" about those extending buds.

THAT....is why I thought ID may be possible....
I don't remember that "look" either.

I did just repot it and cut many roots off.

I'm gonna see If I got another pic.

Sorce

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
?
Last fall....apparently....this one doesn't take too many photos! Sorce

Though much more serrated than I am accustomed to seeing I would say yes.
Now the real test will be when fresh growth hardens off; if it--the petiole--is red then def.

Last edited:

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Hah! I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or genuinely don't know: This thread is about the species Acer rubrum, commonly known as the "red maple" (regardless of the present color on any given specimen) - not about random maples that happen to have the color red. Comprende?
Genuinely didn't know, but apparently made an ass out of me by assuming, based on the name, that a fair amount (if not all of them) of the acer rubrum trees shown in this thread would have red leaves.

And I'm still truly wondering if/when acer rubrum maples have red leaves, and if they do, how's the tree look in the red?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought some were green? Sorce

Sorce, if the top side of the petiole is red then we are right--Acer rubrum. It doesn't have to be
red all around, usually isn't entirely or evenly anyway. Some sort of reaction that allows the
petiole to produce sugars early making that red on fresh hardened off foliage; that is why it
is usually on the side that faces the sun--the top--as it, the sugary sap, reacts to the sun light.
C.A.T. by the way; way cool.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Genuinely didn't know, but apparently made an ass out of me by assuming, based on the name, that a fair amount (if not all of them) of the acer rubrum trees shown in this thread would have red leaves.

And I'm still truly wondering if/when acer rubrum maples have red leaves, and if they do, how's the tree look in the red?
Fall, many of their leaves turn red, and in spring, many newly sprouted leaves can be red. Also, much of the time, the sumaras(sp?) are red.

They look pretty cool in their fall colors.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

They do, along with coral, salmon, peach, yellow and all the other hot keyed fall colors.
The red in this case comes from the fact that in the spring they look like firecrackers at the branch
tips--their bloom cycle--seeds look like clusters of bright red chinese lanterns, and once the
foliage has hardened off the part of the petiole [leaf stem]
facing the sun lights up a pretty definitive RED that holds throughout the season. Messed up part?
nearly silver gray on the underside of the leaf. No reason to be confused; it is only a maple. Hundreds
if not a thousand different ones. Not like we are debating the differences between oblongifolium
and ovafolium and which one is which. Have seen MANY arguments over that very topic.

Last edited:

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
it is only a maple.
Thanks for your expanded input, and I'm not argueing with ya, but then dadburnit ya had ta just go stomp'en all over my maples. "It is only a maple", wull I declare, there just hain't no such thing (emphasis on the emphasis).

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your expanded input, and I'm not argueing with ya, but then dadburnit ya had ta just go stomp'en all over my maples. "It is only a maple", wull I declare, there just hain't no such thing (emphasis on the emphasis).
Ya know it is only bonsai and some other situations--sugar production--that many people even notice one being different from another. They go in buy one that is "purdy", stick it in a hole out in the blazing sun, and hope like hell it will hurry up and look as good as the one she saw and has been raising hell about since. Or it comes up on its own and gets out of hand. You expected Acer palmatum or one of its MANY cultivars which I also dearly love but palmatum--hand like--not rubrum.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
In south florida I don't see the acer rubrum leaves turn red in fall. Some don't even lose their leaves. The new leaves are bright cranberry red when they first open. They quickly turn orange, then bronze and eventually green. And they also produce brilliant red fruit in early spring.

They grow extremely fast too. One of my trees has grown a four foot long branch already this year.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As stated earlier,they are named so because of those long ass red petioles.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The agent did give it a name but I didn't catch exactly what he said other than it was a fungus. It is apparently common in northern Michigan. I do appreciate the tip though. I'll look for Subdue.

Nice tree! Thanks for posting that too.
The subdue worked quite well last year. Covered in flowers this spring, which never happened before. The Subdue is very pricey and would a quart would supply a club for 20 years....30 drops a gallon.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 54

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even before I started drinking this made me smile....

Just more so now!

I like that a lot!

Sorce

You're easy to please man!
I like that.
I also really love growing little seedlings, imagining a distant future..,, spring repots and root pruning is my favourite part.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
here is a 2 year old Acer Rubrum "Florida Red Maple" from seed on 1/28/16 in its full 'fall' colors in west central AcerRubrum_1_28_16.jpg FL about a mile from the Gulf

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I shtuck a river rock under it.

Glad this system works too!
I went a pokin, but didn't feel anything!
Lol...have at that one!

spring repots and root pruning is my favourite part.

I can't wait to get at this one...
This tree didn't grow much last year, and it is crap, but I can't wait to Sorcihara it!

20170227_170628.jpg 20170227_170645.jpg 20170227_170708.jpg 20170227_170838.jpg 20170227_170904.jpg

Sorce

Top Bottom