Calling all crab apple experts.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all i have a question on the development of my crab apple.
20180406_193715.jpg20180406_193655.jpg
This tree is in full on development mode and it needs lots of new and better placed branches.
My question is to get the most out of the season and not wasting too much energy should i stop the tree from flowering and eventually fruiting?
Or should I let it flower out and enjoy them then dead head them afterwards to stop the fruit from developing?
Bearing in mind I dont really mind too much about the flowers this year its all about branches.

Last edited:

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Enjoy the flowers but take them off before they try to turn into fruit. That is the thing that takes the energy you want to re-direct to the tree.
Cool i wasnt quite sure if flowering would use up energy too but to be fair it aint as much as it fruiting out.
cheers for the response

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Here are pics of my 2018 crabapple purchases. Actually the larger one was the one I purchased, the smaller one came as a GWP. Nice gift since the trunk is a little over an inch and has movement. These are Manchurian Crab (Malus mandshurica?). They've not flowered yet according to the seller, because he's had them in the ground and fertilized for vigorous growth. Can't wait to see how these take off.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I learned this from our resident flowering/fruiting expert @Stan Kengai he's very helpful with crabapple development questions. Here is an old thread of mine with some great pointers from Stan.
https://bonsainut.com/threads/crabapple-renovation.6379/
JudyB,
Question: can you cut back crabs hard and force buds to pop all over the place? I'd like to shorten some of mine, but I am not sure what will happen if I chop back a branch with no buds.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a similar crab, or well it's in a similar state and I got the following advice.
(https://bonsainut.com/threads/malus-domestica-advice.32622/)

Crab are exceeding tough. Root work you have done, and drastic cut back proposed by Van Fleet can be done in same season. Fine to do cut back now. New buds will pop, and you can start building usable branches.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice, you mean you went directly from winter to summer like us? Incredibly hot here for a spring, pretty hard to keep new collected trees happy.

Top Bottom