Calling all crab apple experts.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi all thought I would share a few pics of this tree in spring 2020 for you to see.
The tree is developing nicely this year i will be defoliating and rewiring in summer i need the main front to develop because as you can see it remains bare whilst in leaf.
View attachment 296871View attachment 296873View attachment 296874View attachment 296875View attachment 296876View attachment 296877
I would look for an older, patinated pot from Japan, a shallower oval than this, in a deep blue.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I would look for an older, patinated pot from Japan, a shallower oval than this, in a deep blue.
Thing is crabapple thrive and need a deep pot and struggle in a shallower container.
This tree is a fair few years away from a new pot though as it will stay in here and develop than get roootbound to help stunt the new growth to help start to get some really fine ramification and shorter internodes especially when all the primarys are set and the secondarys too then it needs to be root bound for a year or two to help create the final image but its difficult to create a fine image as a crabapple tend to grow quite coarse.
so yeah I hear you I think an oval would be nice bit I have a thing about deep blue pots they all look cheap to me just a preference I suppose but a subtle blue or a cream and yellow glaze with some reds and blues in it would be superb

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
So I have been in contact with a ceramicist from Sweden called carina jern she is the other half of thor holvila and she does some amazing glazes a little bit like Roy minarai is some way.
This was the two schetches she made of two oval pots
bild1.jpgbild2 copy.jpg
I'm not sure about the purple for this tree plus the pot is too heavy but the green one is lovely.
What do you people think ?

Last edited:

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Ah , I see.
Why virus in rectangular pots then? Just to show the glaze I suppose?
I kinda like the teal blue one more than the purple too for this tree.
She explained them in the email there both ovals and will have a similar feel to the lip and sides to the pots and feet but the main reason was to discus the glaze with me.
I agree with the green/teal it's lovely and he apples are a red/orange too so will look great 20210206_212236.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So I have been in contact with a ceramicist from Sweden called carina jern she is the other half of thor holvila and she does some amazing glazes a little bit like Roy minarai is some way.
This was the two schetches she made of two oval pots
View attachment 357283View attachment 357284
I'm not sure about the purple for this tree plus the pot is too heavy but the green one is lovely.
What do you people think ?
The purple one is hideous, just send it to me. ;):D

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Top Bottom