Calling all potters

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is anyone here that makes pots or anything out of ceramic willing and able to make matching drip trays for my pots? The largest one I would need is about 5x5. I’m talking super simple, just a flat slab with a super short lip and similar colored glazes. Nothing extravagant or fancy. @Pitoon ? @HorseloverFat ? @penumbra ? Any of you guys interested or know which direction to point me?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What shape? Round or rectangle? What color?
Square and rectangle. They are cheap pots but still it would be nice to have trays that match somewhat. Honestly I’d be happy with just black trays. I wasn’t a fan of the plastic ones Calibonsai offered to go with these.

Attachments

• 64456A10-5DE4-420B-9941-9B48D68E9427.png
    64456A10-5DE4-420B-9941-9B48D68E9427.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • F4C94CA4-5813-4AE1-8BCA-D31F0B7BD399.png
    F4C94CA4-5813-4AE1-8BCA-D31F0B7BD399.png
    51 KB · Views: 3
  • 7FAFBCB5-EA99-423B-9E7D-FCDF5C5E1361.png
    7FAFBCB5-EA99-423B-9E7D-FCDF5C5E1361.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3F997DD9-F979-48A8-931F-0374D636AA8D.png
    3F997DD9-F979-48A8-931F-0374D636AA8D.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 3

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm sure you can knock these out. The pieces are small enough?
I may see if there’s a kiln for rent type thing here locally, it would be a fun project. What type of clay and glaze would I need for these? I haven’t done anything with ceramics since high school which was many years ago.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I may see if there’s a kiln for rent type thing here locally, it would be a fun project. What type of clay and glaze would I need for these? I haven’t done anything with ceramics since high school which was many years ago.
Any fired clay would work if you do decide to make them on your own. Pay attention to the Cone temps for the glaze. You don't want to use a low firing glaze for a mid or high firing and vice versa.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know that drip trays are mostly sold with mass-produced bonsai pots just to jack up the cost...They're not necessary and are completely ineffective in providing "local humidity" for the tree. Unless you're trying to protect a piece of furniture underneath the pot, or are just looking for a fun beginning pottery project, they're a waste of time...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you're trying to protect a piece of furniture underneath the pot
I have lost so many sales for this reason. Especially from those who want to use my pots for succulents, houseplants, herbs, orchids or small tropical bonsai. But generally for bonsai use, yeah they are pretty worthless. I don't think many people buy into that humidity tray thing.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go for it. Many years ago, selling to a different crowd, I made several plant saucers out of dark brown clay and only glazed the inside of the saucer with clear glaze.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Square and rectangle. They are cheap pots but still it would be nice to have trays that match somewhat. Honestly I’d be happy with just black trays. I wasn’t a fan of the plastic ones Calibonsai offered to go with these.
I'll make your trays if you want. I just need the sizes and shapes, a pic from the top view of each pot would be good too. I'll charge you a recovery cost of $10.00 and you'll pay the shipping. As other members said, matching the glaze could be difficult, but I'll use whatever seems closest to your colors.

Edit: It'll take me about 3 weeks to complete.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll make your trays if you want. I just need the sizes and shapes, a pic from the top view of each pot would be good too. I'll charge you a recovery cost of $10.00 and you'll pay the shipping. As other members said, matching the glaze could be difficult, but I'll use whatever seems closest to your colors.

Edit: It'll take me about 3 weeks to complete.
Also, I'm assuming trays for the 5 pots you shared in post #8 of this thread.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I did not receive this original notification!! This seems fun!

Gimme a minute to consider..

Click Click*

In with the joy...

Out with the negativity...

Yeeah Ja-aaaah!

🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️😆😆🤪🤪

Top Bottom