Calling bald cypress experts

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
First one I cut off after it had already sprouted “limbs”second one I cut before it had “limbs” now look at how different they are. How can we use this in the future!!?? DE9FAD7F-F01E-41D4-805F-E92EBC6BBBC9.jpegB0FDE678-9B2B-42C8-856B-4B01BF696585.jpeg

iconvoid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
What zone are you in? My seedlings aren't leafing out yet (Chicago)

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe it has something to do with your substrate? Trees do act differently even from the same species. A lot of different variables at play here.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I’m in Oklahoma. Little warmer here. These were 4-5’ tall Walmart nursery trees

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The second tree is pushing new growth hard because it didn't have any to start with.... first tree already had growth so not pushing as hard I reckon. I'd probably pluck that first tree... encourage new growth.
Second one has growth for potential new leader.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The second tree is pushing new growth hard because it didn't have any to start with.... first tree already had growth so not pushing as hard I reckon. I'd probably pluck that first tree... encourage new growth.
What are the plucking guidelines for bald cypress?

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score

would you trim second one or pinch growth, I dunno my next step.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
next step
So I’m not 100% sure how to proceed at this point with your tree. Normally when I chop I remove all the lower growth... then I always seal the chop. When new growth begins to push I usually rub off the lower buds and let the buds toward the top grow free and eventually pick a leader. Whether it’s the correct process or not it has worked for me. @Zach Smith is the cypress master and would be the one to ask.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave everything so the tree will regain strength. If you MUST pick at them, gently massage the sprouts from the base straight out and down. You will fell the faintest of crackling as the structure adjusts. If you have multiples pop at one place you can reduce to two, selecting the lowermost ones. The bottoms will help with taper. From here they look like telephone poles.

The difference between the two is likely due to the stages they were in. One had already invested in growth, the other had all its stored energy to blast into new structure.

Top Bottom