Camellia japonica - bonsai candidate?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
My mother in law very kindly gave me this, she got one for herself and they were cheap so picked one up for me too!

I've seen some people have made bonsai from them, however I'm finding all the info a bit overwhelming and would love a simple explanation of how to do so if possible! I know you lovely people are full of wisdom! I'd love to give it a go.

I'm wondering about the timing (seasons) for pruning, repotting and wiring. Can I do these things now? Guessing doing all would be too stressful for it, and may be the wrong time of year? (I'm in the UK). And also, I'm unaware of whether it has already flowered or not? This is probably an incredibly daft question 😂

Attached some photos, looks healthy to me, leaves are a bit sticky but I'm guessing I can just give them a clean?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the many daft questions! I have adhd, so I don't retain new info well and find the masses of info online quite hard to understand! So if you do respond, please keep in mind that I'm a bit simple and not trying to be ignorant 😂

Attachments

• 20200601_121546.jpg
    20200601_121546.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200601_121552.jpg
    20200601_121552.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200601_121602.jpg
    20200601_121602.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200601_121623.jpg
    20200601_121623.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 40

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has bloomed. This takes place late winter / early spring. Quite a lovely garden plant where it can be grown. I am not sure of your hardiness zone but may survive as a potted plant in you area.
Sticky leaves could mean aphids or another insect. Probably not a problem if you spray it.
If this is a first attempt at a bonsai, or even second or third attempt, I would put it in a pot larger than it is in and just grow it out for a season or two while you experiment with other bonsai - able plants. It would not be an easy subject for a beginner.
Yes, it can be done, but certainly not advisable as an entry level plant for bonsai. Just learn to keep it alive as a camellia first.
Best luck.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It has bloomed. This takes place late winter / early spring. Quite a lovely garden plant where it can be grown. I am not sure of your hardiness zone but may survive as a potted plant in you area.
Sticky leaves could mean aphids or another insect. Probably not a problem if you spray it.
If this is a first attempt at a bonsai, or even second or third attempt, I would put it in a pot larger than it is in and just grow it out for a season or two while you experiment with other bonsai - able plants. It would not be an easy subject for a beginner.
Yes, it can be done, but certainly not advisable as an entry level plant for bonsai. Just learn to keep it alive as a camellia first.
Best luck.
..this.

and in basic response the the question posed in the the title; Yes!

It’s great that it’s JUST one.... they have a habit of “cliqueing” lol..

There’s lot’s of good info here on camellia.. I have three (Bought as one).

Also Camellia J. can be wintered indoors with adequate light and humidity. ;) (I believe)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Best luck.

Thanks very much for your advice! All good stuff to know. I just remembered seeing the name in the bonsai book I got and was curious! Does look like they have the potential to make lovely bonsai :)

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
..this.

and in basic response the the question posed in the the title; Yes!

It’s great that it’s JUST one.... they have a habit of “cliqueing” lol..

There’s lot’s of good info here on camellia.. I have three (Bought as one).

Also Camellia J. can be wintered indoors with adequate light and humidity. ;) (I believe)

Great to know it can be wintered indoors, I don't have a sheltered outdoor area so it's good to know that is potentially an option! Will have a good look into the threads on here - thankyou! :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plant it in the ground and let it thicken up some.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Camellia, even in bud, are quite winter hardy for the southern half of the UK. Most Camellia flower buds are not harmed at all by temperatures as low as -5 C, some will tolerate -10 C, and a few are cold tolerant to -18 C (-18 C = 0 F for you 'mericans). It is strange to see flower buds unharmed by -10 C cold, but indeed many Camellia are that hardy. I see from the tag the cultivar name is
Camellia 'Silver Anniversary', possibly the tag indicates season for bloom and its temperature tolerance. Otherwise you can look up information on 'Silver Anniversary' (note single quotes) one or another of the plant information websites or nursery websites should have information.

Most ornamental Camellias, such as yours, are hybrids with either Camellia japonica or Camellia sasanqua species dominating the genetics. Camellia japonica tends to bloom, late winter thru spring. Camellia sasanqua tends to bloom from late summer through autumn some blooming in early winter. Both are hardy through USDA zone 7, which means they can take some cold. The southeastern USA and Pacific Northwest USA & Vancouver area Canada they are very popular landscape trees or shrubs. So google is your friend, look up the specific details on your 'Silver Anniversary', including bloom season and winter hardiness. It will be much easier to care for if you can keep it outdoors year round rather than having to engineer an indoor growing space.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Camellia, even in bud, are quite winter hardy for the southern half of the UK. Most Camellia flower buds are not harmed at all by temperatures as low as -5 C, some will tolerate -10 C, and a few are cold tolerant to -18 C (-18 C = 0 F for you 'mericans). It is strange to see flower buds unharmed by -10 C cold, but indeed many Camellia are that hardy. I see from the tag the cultivar name is
Camellia 'Silver Anniversary', possibly the tag indicates season for bloom and its temperature tolerance. Otherwise you can look up information on 'Silver Anniversary' (note single quotes) one or another of the plant information websites or nursery websites should have information.

Most ornamental Camellias, such as yours, are hybrids with either Camellia japonica or Camellia sasanqua species dominating the genetics. Camellia japonica tends to bloom, late winter thru spring. Camellia sasanqua tends to bloom from late summer through autumn some blooming in early winter. Both are hardy through USDA zone 7, which means they can take some cold. The southeastern USA and Pacific Northwest USA & Vancouver area Canada they are very popular landscape trees or shrubs. So google is your friend, look up the specific details on your 'Silver Anniversary', including bloom season and winter hardiness. It will be much easier to care for if you can keep it outdoors year round rather than having to engineer an indoor growing space.

Very useful stuff there - thanks very much for your input! Having a little search around now - seems to be lots of good info out there! Should be fine throughout winter where I am!

Top Bottom