Camellia Japonica overwintering ideas

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I received it today and I guess I'm a little disappointed. It's a long straight stick and the leaves are really large. Not sure it's bonsaiable if that's a word. It's supposed to bloom in March, but I think the buds on it are leaf buds, not flowers. No fault of theirs, it arrived in perfect shape and I'm sure they expect people will be planting them in the ground. I bought a Camellia from Nuccios last year and when I asked him if it would be OK to repot, he said sure, you can put it in a bigger pot anytime. When I explained I wanted to put it in a smaller pot, he laughed and said "you bonsai people are a strange bunch."
Not surprised, general consensus is that camellia make great shrubs and small trees. As in 15 footers.
Early on purchased three for Bonsai, all of them are great in the landscape today! They look great around the house. The best one I ever saw was a 15 footer at a landscape nursery in Surrey BC. Grown and styled by a Japanese gardener. The large waxy leaves and blossoms seemed perfectly in proportion for the small landscape tree as opposed to a Bonsai size.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Are you colder than zone 6?
I'm considered 6a here. The Camellias at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St.Louis (30 some miles away) keep theirs in a heated greenhouse. I've never seen a Camellia growing in anyone's garden around here or even seen them for sale at any nursery/big box store.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then are climates aren't that dissimilar. I am consider 6b I believe. The Camellia Forest place Leo mentioned has several rated zone 6. I have never had a camellia and I have my eye on a few I'd like to try in the landscape.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any chance the person you talk to is Tom. I spoke to him a few times when I bought Azaleas and Camelias a few years ago (probably 6 or 7 years ago). Also mentioned for bonsai when I talk with him. Really helpful individual.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In order to save on shipping I got a half dozen Camellia when I ordered in 2020 from Camellia Forest. The Camellia 'High Fragrance' is just like @Carol 83 describes hers, arrow straight, big leaves, stiff and not at all "bonsai like" if one is thinking of indoors or under lights scale trees.

Camellia 'Yume' on the other hand has leaves that are smaller, more like a Ficus benjamina, with small pink flowers. Slender twigs and stems. Much more "bonsai-able" looking, but needs decades to trunk up, but should be easier to shape. At least this winter, running 'Yume' indoors, I have been getting a scattered, one here, one there flowering, which has been pleasant in the gloom of December and January. A flush of flowers would be nice, but the ones and twos at a time are okay, this small plant still has a half dozen buds coming.

Camellia 'Black Tie' - has leaves larger than 'Yume', but smaller than 'High Fragrance', seems more "bonsai-able" than 'High Fragrance' , but has not bloomed for me yet.

Camellia sinensis - has much larger leaves than I thought from photos. Larger leaves than the Camellia 'High Fragrance', but the plant I got has no branching. it is in the unheated wellhouse. I'm testing to see how it does in a cold, no light winter.

My other Camellia are in the well house too, memory fails for their names. All the spring bloomers went there. The above were the autumn and winter bloomers.

'Yume'
IMG_20220105_131830049_HDR.jpg the flower is no bigger than my thumbnail.

'High Fragrance'
IMG_20211218_100444373_2.jpg note the arrow straight branches. Flower is over 1.5 inches across.

'Black Tie'
Black Tie IMG_20220113_144214677_HDR (1).jpg note the big leaves.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
All in all I would say that the flowers of Camellia are exquisite. The flowers are captivating and make them worth growing in containers or in the ground for the flowers alone.

As bonsai, they are clearly inferior to azalea for bonsai. I will not be picking up any more for bonsai. But I am an orchid grower. I do get excited about flowers. Damn, they have nice flowers. They do not have the fine dense twigging and the small leaves of azalea, but they are nice. The glossy leaves are attractive, even if they are a bit large.

For Camelia as bonsai plan on a larger tree in a pot, maybe 24 inches minimum, and upwards of 4 or more feet tall or wide, which ever works out. You might be able to go smaller, but then blooming will be sparse, and the whole point of Camellia are the blooms. So go big.

As to hardiness.

I'm debating, but we are not likely to ever get as cold as it used to get 10 years ago, much less 20 years ago. Climate change is real, and maybe that means a Camellia might make it in the ground in Collinsville, or maybe even Zion. I'm thinking about which victim to plug into the ground for a test. The projections for the next ten years are for nothing but warmer and warmer average temps. I'll keep you posted if I get brave this summer and plant some in the ground.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Any chance the person you talk to is Tom. I spoke to him a few times when I bought Azaleas and Camelias a few years ago (probably 6 or 7 years ago). Also mentioned for bonsai when I talk with him. Really helpful individual.
Not sure, but they are very friendly and helpful. I printed out the entire Nuccio's catalogue (at work😀) so I can plan my spring buying spree. They actually sent me a Getsutoku for free when I mention the flowers on mine were all white, so I could see the variations.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted if I get brave this summer and plant some in the ground.
I'm considering doing the same with one. I have a place close to the house that I have an azalea and it does fine. We'll see. 🤔

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really Nice.

The week long frost got my Buttons and Bows buds! Aargh!

Yet it is still alive. Where there is life there is hope 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really Nice.

The week long frost got my Buttons and Bows buds! Aargh!

Yet it is still alive. Where there is life there is hope 😎

Cheers
DSD sends
That's a shame, the blooms are so pretty.

Top Bottom