Camellia Sinensis (Tea tree)

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anyone grow one before bonsai or not? Are they finicky? And if you tried it as a bonsai how did it turn out?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a small twig of a plant I picked up to grow out this spring at Nuccios. It hasn't done much since i moved it from peat to my akadama and pumice mix. The leaves won't work well for a shohin sized tree but if you give it many many years it could work for a larger bonsai for sure. I may end up selling it because it's growth rate seems to be painstakingly slow!

Ben

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Camellia

Find a branch or trunk with interesting movement and layer it. they layer easily. Currently I have 4 layers in training from 1" to 3" caliper.
Keep them cut back and they bud like crazy.
http://tinyurl.com/k4m87lg

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a camellia sasanqua that I've been working with for about 3 years now. I don't know it compares to C. sinensis. The sasanqua has somewhat large leaves and flowers. I've had a little trouble keeping it happy but I'm slowly figuring it out (I think). A local club member who's been growing a camellia (also sasanqua, I believe) for 15+ years recommended transitioning it to a kanuma-based soil...said his started doing much better when he made that change. I'm planning on doing that over the next couple of repots.

Chris

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I've got a leptospermum scoparium I've had in the ground for 5 years. Considering it for bonsai. Interesting trunk. Fairly fast grower...probably only good for broom.
Best,
Jonathan

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clarification:

No but I would love to see one both as a shrub and as a bonsai.

I have seen many camellia bonsai; but the actual "tea plant" was what I was referring to.
teaplant.gif

Top Bottom