Can a Chinese Juniper survive without direct sunlight?

brandelt4

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We recently moved apartments. In the new apartment, however, we found that the balcony is facing north and does not get any direct sunlight. Hence, the question: can Chinese Junipers survive without direct sunlight? There is plenty of indirect sunlight; however, to our disappointment, no direct sun rays. We would appreciate your help.

Also could LED lamps support the bonsai, in case indirect sunlight is too little for the tree? By the way, we are based in Hungary.

Thanks!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I don’t think it would survive.

LED lights would be good. You’ll want them about 10–20 cm away from the top of the plant for ideal results.

brandelt4

Seedling
Reaction score
No, I don’t think it would survive.

LED lights would be good. You’ll want them about 10–20 cm away from the top of the plant for ideal results.

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any recommendations on the power these lamps should have? I am looking at 60W currently. My tree is 20 years old and is about 25-30cm.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Survive? Maybe. Thrive? Never. LED lights? Absolutely. Consider 100 watt minimum if using a COB type LED. Otherwise a minimum of 200 watts and more is better.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any recommendations on the power these lamps should have? I am looking at 60W currently. My tree is 20 years old and is about 25-30cm.

Full sunlight for your region is something like 5–6 kWh of energy radiation per square meter each day (this figure is annualized to account for seasons). A 12-hour light cycle would require about 400 watts of energy projected on that square meter.

I read LEDs produce about 90 lumens per watt. You would need a 400–500 watt LED running 12 hours a day to replicate the equivalent of full sunlight, which junipers love.

You could probably get away with 200–250 watts just fine. I wouldn’t go lower than that.

…these are rough numbers and I’m no scientist ;)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also: don’t forget air circulation, which ensures the plant can transpire efficiently and it reduces the chance of disease.

Modern residential buildings fully replace air about 4–6 times an hour. Successful greenhouses replace air about 60 times an hour. You’ll need to make up the difference with fans :)

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hence, the question: can Chinese Junipers survive without direct sunlight?
Short answer is NO. To elaborate: They're outdoors trees not apartment dwellers. It may linger for some time but eventually won't make it. I mean how are you over wintering it?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How close is it to direct sunlight? I know this may sound cheesy but is there a way you could set up a mirror on the balcony somewhere to get it some sunlight? Maybe using one of those satellite or antenna posts attached to the balcony post?

brandelt4

Seedling
Reaction score
Short answer is NO. To elaborate: They're outdoors trees not apartment dwellers. It may linger for some time but eventually won't make it. I mean how are you over wintering it?

Thanks for the answer. Just to clarify: the bonsai sits outside on a balcony with proper outside temperature, humidity and everything. The only thing that concerns us is the lack of direct sunlight.

brandelt4

Seedling
Reaction score
How close is it to direct sunlight? I know this may sound cheesy but is there a way you could set up a mirror on the balcony somewhere to get it some sunlight? Maybe using one of those satellite or antenna posts attached to the balcony post?

Unfortunately, any of these methods are not possible in our situation :(

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honestly, if it gets bright indirect light, just grab a grow light and try. It sounds like there aren't any other options so I would say just grab a light, let it get as much indirect light as possible and supplement with additional lighting. As long as you go into it knowing that it may eventually weaken and are prepared just give it your best shot. The worst that can happen is it dies, which will happen regardless if you make no attempt. You may surprise yourself. If it gets indirect light that's a big plus. You aren't keeping it inside so all other things being equal it'll just need more light than if it had direct light. And if it is successful it'll make it that much better.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Add my voice to those saying to trade it away, now. There are plenty of splendid trees that will do just fine in the same exposure. Bonsai are difficult to keep in the best of circumstances, by il cognoscenti. Your trees are one mistake, one unfortunate event, away from turning the corner from being in jeopardy to being unrecoverable. Better to sell it to someone who will give it the kind of care that will guarantee continued life. What would your benefactor want you to do? I dispersed a friend's collection after his death, and I made sure that his daughter got a bonsai that was suitable for her conditions. My family understands this concept, too, and instructs them on what kinds of plants to choose from. I have had in training many of my trees for twenty years and they will take expertise that my family doesn't have to keep them alive. I want them to go to people who will continue my work.

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been using led grow lights (waterproof) as supplemental lighting this year on my bench which is in shade for several hours in the middle of the day. Though only anecdotal, I have been growing a healthy looking JBP sapling and a sick juniper under it and both are doing really well this year, meaning the JBP is nice and dark green with vigorous growth and the juniper is showing recovery and new growth.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have been using led grow lights (waterproof) as supplemental lighting this year on my bench which is in shade for several hours in the middle of the day. Though only anecdotal, I have been growing a healthy looking JBP sapling and a sick juniper under it and both are doing really well this year, meaning the JBP is nice and dark green with vigorous growth and the juniper is showing recovery and new growth.

A pic or two of your setup and trees will be very helpful and appreciated 🙂

Top Bottom