Can a crabapple air layer be overwatered?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got this crabapple in March. Guy who "made" it by air layering told me it was in pumice.
It's in a pond basket while I let it do what it wants this year.

I think the long branch will look bitchin' when it flowers and look sort of like a flower arrangement.

My question is watering.
I water it at least twice a day. More if the long ends begin to droop. The water runs out immediately from the bottom and sides and everywhere.
It's growing like crazy.

Is it ....possible... under those conditions to overwater it?

:)apple.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree. Very difficult to overwater trees in extremely well drained mix so keep pouring water on. Usually more need to watch for underwatering as well drained mix can dry out quickly in summer.
the more water that runs through a pot the quicker nutrients are leached out so remember to fertilise regularly for continued growth and health.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Crabapples are thirsty trees, especially when fruit are developing. It might be prudent to add more of a moisture retaining component to your mix when it goes dormant such as akadama, lava or moler clay. Even here in the UK in Summer I water every day and it's like half your typical temperature.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Crabapples are thirsty trees, especially when fruit are developing. It might be prudent to add more of a moisture retaining component to your mix when it goes dormant such as akadama, lava or moler clay. Even here in the UK in Summer I water every day and it's like half your typical temperature.
I'll be adding when I pot it into the pre-selected pot. My new soil has fir bark and is working great on the other trees when mixed in.

I'm using Bayer Tree & Shrub Feed & Protect for fertilizer as crabapples are like a smorgasbord for aphids.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm getting dupe posts too.
It wouldn't take the first one.
But then it did. o_O

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The script is not operating properly. It sends your post to the server and it is then supposed to update the page so that you see it posted. It is not doing this update automatically. So you, thinking it didn't work, click the post reply button a second time and your post is sent a second time. Just refresh the page after the rippling bars stop to see that your post has indeed been posted. Alternatively just wait and eventually the message that there are new posts (yours) will appear - click the link as see your work!
will look bitchin'
Jesus, you are old Mike!
Bitchin'
Are you kidding me? :D

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Mike Corazzi Crabapple are quite challenging trees in terms of branching. Let it grow strongly this year then cut it hard back in to old wood. This will ensure lots of latent buds will pop in Spring which can then be wired for movement. Don't forget to part leaf prune to keep inner buds viable. They will be prompted to grow during the post hardening off pruning you will do. Good luck with the tree and keep us updated.

Top Bottom