Can a crabapple handle a carving off of a root knuckle

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Like sort of seen in the other photo...can one just carve off a crabapple's knuckle root and not effect the tree?

Anyone? I hate that one knuckle is holding me back on a tree. Though the other side of the tree may work as a front...just trying to work out my options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 99

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thats a pretty big chunk of root there. Probably going to get both answers in this thread. If tree was very healthy and vibrant I might hack it off. It would have to really bother me. Probably stress the tree. I would normally like to look at the root structure. I would cut it at a re-pot where i could examine the root structure. If I had a lot of other roots--- no problem i'd cut. Either way I don't think it would kill the tree, but you could wait and take a look at the roots before making a decision

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crabs can easily have 50% of their root mass removed. If you take that root off and remove little else, the plant should be fine. If you don't repot and cut that root in late spring/early summer, treating with cut paste, the wound will be mostly healed by fall.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are you repotting at the same time? It's hard to judge what you can remove without seeing the strength of this root versus the rest of the root system

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could you show me a picture of the whole tree? I cannot give advice on it just seeing the base. I do have a plan but it depends on the rest of the tree... ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So you do not have the Crab:rolleyes: Either way, that one would do well if you repotted it in Spring, cut/chiseled off the root AND made sure you took out any root attached to it to prevent rot. I would say no only if it exceeded 50 percent of the root mass. If it did I would reduce the root mass, leave it go another year, then chop it. They are very hardy and if the conditions were proper the first time I would also trim every branch back 1 node at the same time.o_O

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
N
So you do not have the Crab:rolleyes: Either way, that one would do well if you repotted it in Spring, cut/chiseled off the root AND made sure you took out any root attached to it to prevent rot. I would say no only if it exceeded 50 percent of the root mass. If it did I would reduce the root mass, leave it go another year, then chop it. They are very hardy and if the conditions were proper the first time I would also trim every branch back 1 node at the same time.o_O

Grimmy

Yup...I passed on it.Interesting take on it...
Did you see the thread on my azalea?

http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/taking-the-plunge-on-an-azalea-from-don-blackmond.18222/

Top Bottom