Can a ficus get root rot?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wonder why it was neglected so bad.

Great job though and cheers to you saving it, very nice tree!!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It probly was "loved"!

Dig the new Avatar!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s only work if you don’t like it.

And why would I give up on the super lucrative bonsai business to get into something as marginally profitable as that? I’d be turning my back on a bonsai bonanza!

S
I think your Shiners must be stronger than my Shiners!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice- I hope it lives for you. Somebody at some point put the work in for it. I'm a fan.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Working on the bottom of the rootball, I have to cut in extensively to get back to living tissue. Almost everything on the outside of the rootball is in decay.

I carefully remove or cut away all the decay and cut each root back to living tissue.

I scrape away all the old organic material from the nooks and crannies and wash the debris away with a firm stream of water. I want a clean start.

S

You put in some serious work. Thanks for documenting and sharing this, it was informative. Good luck with the recovery, how's the tree faring now?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With the bones that tree has, it’s worth a heroic rescue. Props to you for putting in the work. Good luck with it!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is doing ok, but not growing as much as the other ficus. Color is a bit off too. I think it’s to be expected - tree is weak and will take time to recover. But I think it will make it, at this point.

Scott

Top Bottom