Can a hybrid tree be smaller than either of the parents?

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,

I have two kinds of oaks around my house, which are Q. coccifera and Q. rotundifolia. I've noticed two more kinds that I think are hybrids. One of them is very obvious because it's a blend of the two in height, leaf size, leaf shape, and acorn size (but not shape). The other is like this one but dwarf. Smaller than the smaller of the two species (Q. coccifera) in height, leaf size, and acorn size.

These two species are known to hybridize so I'm almost sure the two specimens are hybrids. Oak hybrids are fertile, so I want to plant some of the acorns because they look interesting for bonsai, especially the dwarf variety. The leaves are 1 cm long at most, and the tree is very branchy. Looks good.

Here one the left is a Q. coccifera acorn, and on the right a Q. rotundifolia one. The 3rd one is what I think is a hybrid, and the other the dwarf version of it.

20201109_064634.jpg

So, can anybody answer the question in the title?

Thanks

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. And it depends. Hybrids or any offspring can be smaller or larger than parents. All depends on age, soil, surrounding vegetation, crowding or openness, sun exposure, nutrients, water and genetics. Also parent trees may be carrying hybrid genes not apparent in outward tree.

Top Bottom