Can a juniper be split

LARBIAN

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I purchased a Sea Green Juniper from the local home improvement store and it has three nice size trunks. Would the juniper survive if I cut the third trunk away from the others to make two bonsai's?

I am wanting to saw down thru the middle of the root system to obtain as much rooting with each segment of trunk.

Also, this may have been a poor choice to make a bonsai but can the scaling of bark on the limbs be cleaned without a problem

Hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thanks for looking and advising.

2013-03-31_06-41-55_473.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Before you try that dangerous practice, wash all the soil off the roots and see what's there/ You MAY already have two trees, or you may find an amazing trunk buried in that awful soil.

Splitting is probably possible, but . . . very dangerous (to the tree).

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I did it today w a crape myrtle I bought. Three from one. Now just waiting to see them leaf out.:D

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I am wanting to saw down thru the middle of the root system to obtain as much rooting with each segment of trunk.

View attachment 33493
Well Ill give another opinion. Yes it is easy to do and I have done it many times. I call these two for one trees.

Problem is Sea Green or pfitzer junipers ...arrrrg. long feathery needles are really difficlut to make a tidy pad of foliage. Just me, but I would return it and look for prostrata, or san jose

Good luck

big D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a relatively safe procedure for a juniper. Make sure the plant is in good health and don't remove any foliage when you do separate them. As others mentioned you will want to really explore the roots and only cut what you must.

You can root Juniper's as large as that so with proper after care you should have good success. Constant misting is very helpful in keeping a juniper with few roots alive.

Top Bottom