CAN A LARCH BE DEFOLIATED AND GET NEW GROWTH?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just wondering if a larch can be defoliated to get new growth to replace sunburned original foliage?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The sun took the foliage off of mine ocne. It regrew the next year and then it died.
I don't believe it's a good idea to play with larches like that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the prior care like?

Anything can get away with it if the prior care is right.

Why?

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not do it. Conifers are quite different than deciduous plants. I am certain it will greatly weakon your larch. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to keep it growing as vigorously as possible via nutrients and water, and have it outgrow the offending foliage.
Best of luck.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just wondering if a larch can be defoliated to get new growth to replace sunburned original foliage?

I concur with the above sentiments that defoliating a larch is not a good idea.

Some questions might help us give you some better advice for your larch.
How much sun is the tree getting?
How hot and dry is your weather right now?
What type of soil do you have the larch in currently?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I concur with the above sentiments that defoliating a larch is not a good idea.

Some questions might help us give you some better advice for your larch.
How much sun is the tree getting?
How hot and dry is your weather right now?
What type of soil do you have the larch in currently?
The larches were in my new cold frame against the East side of the house. It is fronted with a corrugated clear roofing material. They budded out early and had needles when I put them out in the cool spring weather, and they got direct sun. Mistake! That are generally has 50% shade cloth over it when it gets hotter. Nothing else was affected. Live and learn.

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3677.jpg
    IMG_3677.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't think you need a cold frame for the larch at all, in fact they need really cold and long winter to be happy. Good luck.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think you need a cold frame for the larch at all, in fact they need really cold and long winter to be happy. Good luck.
This is the problem, the larch were behaving like larch. ^^^

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collect trees in the fall here and have had very good luck doing that with Larch. They are in the cold frame to protect roots from freezing. I have to learn to regulate temps AND how to introduce cold frame trees to the sun in the spring. Yes, normally Larch can stand extremely cold weather. I have seen the tops of adult Larches up high here turn white from a late freeze and maybe winds. They all come back to green by mid-summer. I'm not sure if my problem was caused by the sun or cold.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The larches were in my new cold frame against the East side of the house. It is fronted with a corrugated clear roofing material. They budded out early and had needles when I put them out in the cool spring weather, and they got direct sun. Mistake! That are generally has 50% shade cloth over it when it gets hotter. Nothing else was affected. Live and learn.

As I recall, you have a pretty dry climate correct?

Larch like moisture and as you found out, heat can be an issue.

I bought a larch in April that was collected from a bog in Northern Maine. I was concerned that an American larch might not adjust well to my heat. The seller told me that the bog does get rather hot in the summer and there isn't much shade. He is correct as I recall growing up in Maine, that yes it can get rather hot in summer.
However there is lots of moisture in the soil, and humidity being a bog. He said it should do fine as long as it gets a good cold period in winter.

I have had one larch for 5 years or so. Friend of mine has had some and early on had a lot of trouble keeping them alive while my one did fine

I have mine on a bench that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. My friend moved his to a similar spot I his yard and has had much better luck.

I have a lot more humidity than your area being that I am very close to the ocean here but I also keep mine in a soil mix that retains a more moisture than a typical conifer mix. They get watered every day in the summer.

If you are in a dryer climate, you are going to want then in soil that retains more moisture without being sopping wet and make sure they get watered often enough so that they don't dry out.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom