Can a nutrient deficient appear spontaneously (Chinese Elm)

William Dinitzen

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi
About a week or two ago I posted a thread regarding what I thought at the time was a form of fungal infection or pest on my Chinese elm, and a few kind people replied, with the majority of them deeming it to be a nutrient deficiency (mainly N). Initially this seemed like a reasonable explanation, and a week after fertilizing with liquid feed I actually thought the problem had gone away. However it just started spreading again.

What has got me confused is the seemingly instantaneous development of small yellow/transparent spots (developing over night basically) on both old and new leaves, and im wondering if a nutrient deficiency can really manifest itself so quickly? The lack of pigmentation is furthermore followed by a deformation of some of the new growths, I've had leaves grow in a curl shape for example, which was not the case before this issue arose.

Ive linked an image of a new leaf held towards the sun to show the lack of pigmentation in these spots. Does anyone recognise this issue, and could it really just be a nutrient deficiency?

Thanks in advance

tempImage57CSXh.png

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd suspect pests, particularly since its occurring simultaneously on new and old leaves.

Reactions: AJL

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If you check the undersides of the leaves and shoot tips are there any signs of sapsucking insects?
Sapsucking bugs such as leafhoppers and aphids can certainly cause similar symptoms .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thrips and what we call spitbugs (froghopper?) leave this kind of damage. You can't treat against those, because they suck and ingest poison, they fly away, and then they die from poisoning. Then the next one comes, does the same. Rinse and repeat.
Maybe neem oil can keep them at bay because neem also smells terrible.. But it's no guarantee.

Top Bottom