Can American Hornbeam bonsai be grown indoors?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi all,

I have seen some conflicting information online as to whether it is feasible to grow an American Hornbeam indoors. I understand the tree is deciduous and optimally would be kept outdoors. So is it feasible and if so, what measures would have to be taken during the winter (dormant) period.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 27

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Feasible is fairly subjective. It sort depends on how much you want to invest in replicating outdoor conditions. With enough money I am sure you could create the ideal outdoor habitat indoors. Looking at the tree it appears to be struggling. So with your current setup I would say it will not be feasible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate the feedback. That’s kinda what I was realizing. I had just received it a few days ago so I was hoping it was just the adjustment period. Do you think it could survive on a back patio in a bigger pot? I would think no considering the somewhat harsh Michigan winters. I don’t have a green house or anything similar. I do believe they are native to Michigan though. Worst case there’s a small place in the yard I could plant it to give him a fighting chance.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I appreciate the feedback. That’s kinda what I was realizing. I had just received it a few days ago so I was hoping it was just the adjustment period. Do you think it could survive on a back patio in a bigger pot? I would think no considering the somewhat harsh Michigan winters. I don’t have a green house or anything similar. I do believe they are native to Michigan though. Worst case there’s a small place in the yard I could plant it to give him a fighting chance.
American hornbeam can survive Michigan weather outdoor easily. Unless you have zero outdoor space for it, leave it outside.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you have a window well that will act like a little greenhouse, but heeling it in the soil in your yard will work too. The French used to literally bury fig trees each winter just so they could have figs in summer and I have seen Canadians who over winter them in foam insulation lined above ground plywood boxes but rodents can be a problem for all these methods. I use a product called Mole or Vole Chaser which is basically granules of clay soaked with cod liver oil as a repellant to keep them from eating tree bark. Finally an unheated garage will protect the tree over winter, just don’t forget to keep the soil moist no matter where you put it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, not an indoor tree
Needs sunlight in spring, summer
Needs dormancy in winter lower than 40 degrees F

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hornbeam are native to Michigan through the entire state and north into Canada. Get that poor tree outside now, so it has time to adapt for winter.

Each night in August, September and October, it gets a little colder. That slow decrease in night temps, helps the tree move sugars around getting ready to drop leaves and go dormant.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread seems to go on and on. You know this is a zone 3 plant. That is bitterly cold. It only needs to be kept from drying out in the winter. Mine sit on the bench all winter.

Top Bottom