Can any plant be a bonsai?

Reaction score
So on the bonsai Reddit I constantly see people posting cannabis in a bonsai container with bent stems and they call it a bonsai. I tell them that is not what a bonsai is and I get deluged with stoners telling me I’m a crotchy old man for disagreeing. So, is that the shallow definition and I can “bonsai” my mint herbs or tomato plants? I love bonsai and have a great collection of trees and just feel the need to make a distinction between actual bonsai trees a cheap imitations. Am I wrong?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm possibly a crotchety old man in-training, but no I don't think any plant can be bonsai. Cannabis, while it can create a somewhat woody stem, is an annual. It grows from seed, has a growth season, and then dies. Yes, you can keep it alive longer in artificial conditions but it's still an annual. Bonsai are typically long-lived tree species that create primary and secondary xylem and Phloem. For this reason, I don't think you can really consider Sago Palms as bonsai. They are monocots and don't make true wood. For these reasons I think plants that are annuals or monocots can't really be bonsai. If they are treated as bonsai it is only as a novelty.

Yes the simplest definition of bonsai is a "tree in a pot" but there is a bit more to it than that.

There's an old thread on BNut about Cannabis "bonsai" that has been resurrected multiple times since the inception of this forum.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@JuniperMasterRace

You mistake is "Correcting Someone Who is Wrong on the Internet". Majority of people typing "on the internet" just want to be noticed. They are not interested in what anyone else hasc to say. Or they are looking for the "fight", the back and forth.

"Just back away from the keyboard". and let the fools make fools of themselves.

On the specific topic. One can apply bonsai techniques to just about any plant. But that does not make the plant bonsai. There is nothing wrong with attractively grown specimen plants, but generally only trees and shrub species that make "true wood" can really become bonsai. Some exceptions are allowed for woody herbs.

There is the sub-category of bonsai called kusamono, which are usually considered accent plants. Kusamono is the generic term for accent plants. The original meaning of the term kusamono is grass planting. Very often kusamono are mixed plantings of flowering herb, fruiting plants and grasses. The best kusamono are almost always mixed plantings with 3 or more species in the pot. Single species plantings are commonly used but are not as highly prized. Kusamono is the more general term used for a wide variety of accent plants.

Shitakusa are specifically accent plants to be displayed with bonsai. There are a number of loose rules for shitakusa. The shitakusa should not be taller than the stand of the bonsai the shitakusa accompanies. It should set the place, for example, forest or field, for the bonsai, and the shitakusa should indicate the time of year, winter autumn, spring or summer. The direction of movement or flow of the kusamono should be paired to the bonsai.

Second category for Kusamono is Sanyasou. Here the planting is the focal point of the display. This is where an attractively grown "non-tree" species can be displayed. Key is the artistic display. All the "rules" of bonsai apply, the plant or planting should provide a sense of place and of season. For example, there is a famous photo of a Rhus (Toxicodendron) succedaneum, Japanese sumac. It looks similar to the North American staghorn sumac. Lovely autumn colors. A single simple trunk, with zero branching. When you see photos it is difficult to judge the scale. Then the photo of Kimura with the plant, and the tree is as tall or taller than Kimura. Here is a non-traditional plant, that occasionally gets displayed on its own, as a focal point of a display. It is only shown in full autumn color. It sets place and time of year. It is a classic Sanyasou.

So in summary, if it is not a tree species or a woody shrub, it is unlikely it will be considered bonsai. But attractively grown plants, houseplants herbs and grasses can be grown to be attractive and enjoyed in their own right. Some may actually be considered Kusamono. But like bonsai, kusamono is difficult to define. Most houseplants, succulents and marijuana plants will never be considered kusamono any more than they will be considered bonsai, but by remembering the category kusamono exists, some of these "houseplants" to make the cut. Not all, but some.

Reaction score
@JuniperMasterRace

You mistake is "Correcting Someone Who is Wrong on the Internet". Majority of people typing "on the internet" just want to be noticed. They are not interested in what anyone else hasc to say. Or they are looking for the "fight", the back and forth.

"Just back away from the keyboard". and let the fools make fools of themselves.

On the specific topic. One can apply bonsai techniques to just about any plant. But that does not make the plant bonsai. There is nothing wrong with attractively grown specimen plants, but generally only trees and shrub species that make "true wood" can really become bonsai. Some exceptions are allowed for woody herbs.

There is the sub-category of bonsai called kusamono, which are usually considered accent plants. Kusamono is the generic term for accent plants. The original meaning of the term kusamono is grass planting. Very often kusamono are mixed plantings of flowering herb, fruiting plants and grasses. The best kusamono are almost always mixed plantings with 3 or more species in the pot. Single species plantings are commonly used but are not as highly prized. Kusamono is the more general term used for a wide variety of accent plants.

Shitakusa are specifically accent plants to be displayed with bonsai. There are a number of loose rules for shitakusa. The shitakusa should not be taller than the stand of the bonsai the shitakusa accompanies. It should set the place, for example, forest or field, for the bonsai, and the shitakusa should indicate the time of year, winter autumn, spring or summer. The direction of movement or flow of the kusamono should be paired to the bonsai.

Second category for Kusamono is Sanyasou. Here the planting is the focal point of the display. This is where an attractively grown "non-tree" species can be displayed. Key is the artistic display. All the "rules" of bonsai apply, the plant or planting should provide a sense of place and of season. For example, there is a famous photo of a Rhus (Toxicodendron) succedaneum, Japanese sumac. It looks similar to the North American staghorn sumac. Lovely autumn colors. A single simple trunk, with zero branching. When you see photos it is difficult to judge the scale. Then the photo of Kimura with the plant, and the tree is as tall or taller than Kimura. Here is a non-traditional plant, that occasionally gets displayed on its own, as a focal point of a display. It is only shown in full autumn color. It sets place and time of year. It is a classic Sanyasou.

So in summary, if it is not a tree species or a woody shrub, it is unlikely it will be considered bonsai. But attractively grown plants, houseplants herbs and grasses can be grown to be attractive and enjoyed in their own right. Some may actually be considered Kusamono. But like bonsai, kusamono is difficult to define. Most houseplants, succulents and marijuana plants will never be considered kusamono any more than they will be considered bonsai, but by remembering the category kusamono exists, some of these "houseplants" to make the cut. Not all, but some.
Very insightful and educational response. This forum really can’t compare with any other social platform. It really caters towards serious bonsai enthusiasts. The level of knowledge this forum has is really amazing.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@JuniperMasterRace - Actually, the top half of the Bonsai Empire article is fairly good. The part about marijuana as bonsai neglects to emphasize that the criteria of the top portion of the article needs to me met before the plant can be called bonsai.

Bonsai is art. Art, in general "evokes an emotional or intellectual response". When one looks at a bonsai, one should feel a reaction to the bonsai. If you don't feel something, the tree "isn't there yet". Frankly, a lot of the trees that get called bonsai, may clearly be on the path towards becoming bonsai, but really have not achieved the goals of bonsai yet.

There is no bright line between what is bonsai and what is an attractively grown plant in a pot. At its highest level, there is no mistaking a good bonsai for anything else. At its worst, most marijuana plants in bonsai pots are just houseplants.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After reading this thread I might think about changing my signature to add, "... but don't under think it either."

If nothing else, you can't call it a bonsai TREE if it isn't an actual tree, regardless of how you may have applied bonsai techniques. It is still a separate if related field. We do not call bonchi a bonsai because it is it's own thing, though respected as related and relevant to the art.
@Leo in N E Illinois's short treatise above on kusamono outlines this brilliantly (What friggin right does this guy have being so damned smart? LOL), and that's the tac I would take when talking with people about it. Just like there's always someone with a brand new sports car or a fancy motorcycle at the classic car show. Related, relevant, appreciated, not a classic car. No, your dope isn't bonsai, but it is still cool looking.

Dr greenthumb

Sapling
Reaction score
It's the same think what hapens with portualacaria afra You can growing like a bonsai but it si not a Woody tree I like to experiment with diferent species so I make a golden berry bonsai an it has fruits. golden berry it's a perenial semiwoody bush so You can grow like a bonsai and Will live some years i don't know how many but enough to making a "bonsai" looking plant

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the premise of this post--trying to explain bonsai to stoners...Might as well try to explain electricity to a fish... 😆 Cannabis "bonsai" have been around forever. They're as much "bonsai" as the twisted "lucky bamboo" sold at stalls in the mall or Spencers Gifts.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's the same think what hapens with portualacaria afra You can growing like a bonsai but it si not a Woody tree I like to experiment with diferent species so I make a golden berry bonsai an it has fruits. golden berry it's a perenial semiwoody bush so You can grow like a bonsai and Will live some years i don't know how many but enough to making a "bonsai" looking plant
Portulacaria afra and also certain cultivars of Crassula are grown in a bonsai-esque style. While I wouldn’t call them “bonsai” they are low maintenance, easy to keep alive and for many people may serve as an actual stepping stone into the world of bonsai.
Just today a work colleague saw me carrying one of my kids Crassula that I had taken into work and exclaimed “oh wow is that a bonsai? It looks so cool. Where did you get it? Is it easy to care for? I’d love to get one etc etc..” So there we go, that person was inspired by a simple house plant. Maybe it’s just the start of thier journey!

I have plenty of plants and trees, some are bonsai some are not but the key factor is that they all SPARK JOY! 😂😂

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd say "technically" yes. What I have qualms about is .... "TREE."

Especially the 1/8" juniper twig in the "What do I do about my ...TREE?" threads. 🤔

I mean I ....know... what it means and I guess I don't mind it, but it always gets a chuckle. ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So on the bonsai Reddit I constantly see people posting cannabis in a bonsai container with bent stems and they call it a bonsai. I tell them that is not what a bonsai is and I get deluged with stoners telling me I’m a crotchy old man for disagreeing. So, is that the shallow definition and I can “bonsai” my mint herbs or tomato plants? I love bonsai and have a great collection of trees and just feel the need to make a distinction between actual bonsai trees a cheap imitations. Am I wrong?
Well, I am not a member of greennit, yellow-it or red-it. So you will have to do the sharing. But I once wrote a piece to avoid endless discussions..

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Make sure you have your story straight when the jack booted bonsai police come to rough you up. Only they get to decide what is or isnt a “bonsai”!!!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the greatest presentation ever on that subject.

Top Bottom