Can any seedling expert tell me what's wrong with my Judas Trees?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello,
I've been growing these Judas seedlings from this spring and it was all good till this week. The leaves started to curl upwards and some of the are crispy looking however they are still soft. I really don't know what to do. Also they started to droop from the bark last month so i put some wooden sticks to bounce them back together.(idk i guess it's normal since they are leggy?) They are still indoor having sufficient indirect light and watering cycle is moderate like before. Can you tell me what's going on? I really don't feel like loosing them...

Attachments

• A0CC1DC5-A0DA-4A2C-ABA6-E924FA5AC19B.jpeg
    A0CC1DC5-A0DA-4A2C-ABA6-E924FA5AC19B.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 21168F0C-AFCF-4859-A982-EEF2EB8A0895.jpeg
    21168F0C-AFCF-4859-A982-EEF2EB8A0895.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 6327BAF5-E45B-4994-8790-9B2B9CFA752D.jpeg
    6327BAF5-E45B-4994-8790-9B2B9CFA752D.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E4360366-35F7-4F41-A3EA-5EEC8E5100EC.jpeg
    E4360366-35F7-4F41-A3EA-5EEC8E5100EC.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 14
  • A83D644B-3E01-474C-B2C7-55A408F53342.jpeg
    A83D644B-3E01-474C-B2C7-55A408F53342.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4B1AFDEC-9058-443D-816F-84F98C5A6AFD.jpeg
    4B1AFDEC-9058-443D-816F-84F98C5A6AFD.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The crispy leaves look like they dried out at some point. But why are you growing them inside? Them being so leggy that they can't even stand up on their own is a clear sign they need more light.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The crispy leaves look like they dried out at some point. But why are you growing them inside? Them being so leggy that they can't even stand up on their own is a clear sign they need more light.
This spring was cold and i got a bad habit of keeping them inside since then. I guess it's time... as far as i know they still can't receive direct light right?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think it actually does need some direct sunlight. Instead of putting out immediately in full sun, you might consider doing it gradually.

I believe these are a Mediterranean plant, so it probably needs to be in the sun.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think it actually does need some direct sunlight. Instead of putting out immediately in full sun, you might consider doing it gradually.

I believe these are a Mediterranean plant, so it probably needs to be in the sun.
Yea they are common in my area but i was planning to put them in direct sun/outdoor next spring to be honest. I assume they are going to be back inside the house this winter since i believe they won't be able to survive before year one (correct me if i'm wrong)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yea they are common in my area but i was planning to put them in direct sun/outdoor next spring to be honest. I assume they are going to be back inside the house this winter since i believe they won't be able to survive before year one (correct me if i'm wrong)
I just read they prefer full sun to mostly sun, so I'm assuming your tree needs more sun that just indirect sunlight.

Most people here would tell you that non-tropical trees should be outdoors as long as the weather permits. Blowing around in a light breeze can help strengthen the trunk. Fresh air is good for trees and keeping down fungus and mold. And of course, sunlight for photosynthesis. Having daily and seasonal temperature changes is also needed for some trees.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm assuming they are the European/Mediterranean species, Cercis siliquastrum? If they grow outdoors in your area then they are adapted to withstand the winter from the start of their lives. Since you've kept them inside for so long they'll need to be adjusted to outdoor light from shade to sun over a period of a few weeks.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I just read they prefer full sun to mostly sun, so I'm assuming your tree needs more sun that just indirect sunlight.

Most people here would tell you that non-tropical trees should be outdoors as long as the weather permits. Blowing around in a light breeze can help strengthen the trunk. Fresh air is good for trees and keeping down fungus and mold. And of course, sunlight for photosynthesis. Having daily and seasonal temperature changes is also needed for some trees.
Thanks for the info, from today i'll be placing them outdoors and will make sure that they receive enough light gradually :)

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm assuming they are the European/Mediterranean species, Cercis siliquastrum? If they grow outdoors in your area then they are adapted to withstand the winter from the start of their lives. Since you've kept them inside for so long they'll need to be adjusted to outdoor light from shade to sun over a period of a few weeks.
Yes they are cercis siliquastrum. However I'm still unsure about the first winter experience. Even if i had put them outdoors already, we may get -5C on winters and i'm worried that my seedlings won't survive the cold

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You say they are common in your area. Who places all those trees (or seedlings) inside every winter?
You're overthinking things.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Woke up and found them like this. They're keep getting worse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 12

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's simply...... betrayal!🤣

I've recently come to a firm conclusion that starting seeds indoors (vegetables) is a gimmick sold to us by "big food" to fail at creating our own food.

Any "early" benefit we get from it is quickly displaced by the numerous negatives.

Seems starting tree seeds indoors is just a carryover from doing it with vegetables, which is extra worse for trees, extra extra worse for something that we want to have a bonsai future.

So don't let them win. Just shun the dupers and move on!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Local plants are adapted to local conditions. As mentioned earlier nobody has been putting first year seedlings indoors for the past million years and the trees have still survived being outdoors. They will survive below freezing temps form year 1.
I suspect the problem with these seedlings is root problems from being too wet and no sun to keep the disease at bay. Some may survive but it may already be too late for these. When roots are killed by root rot the plants cannot take in water, even though the soil is wet. The result is droopy leaves like you have there.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Local plants are adapted to local conditions. As mentioned earlier nobody has been putting first year seedlings indoors for the past million years and the trees have still survived being outdoors. They will survive below freezing temps form year 1.
I suspect the problem with these seedlings is root problems from being too wet and no sun to keep the disease at bay. Some may survive but it may already be too late for these. When roots are killed by root rot the plants cannot take in water, even though the soil is wet. The result is droopy leaves like you have there.
I assumed the curled up leaves means loss of water in media and therefore i watered them yesterday... I put the at outdoors right away after people suggest me to do it. I hope they'll be doing all right

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I assumed the curled up leaves means loss of water in media and therefore i watered them yesterday... I put the at outdoors right away after people suggest me to do it. I hope they'll be doing all right
I have done the same thing. I started a bunch of seeds indoors and didn't move them outside quickly enough. Some survived and some did not. The ones that survived are still going strong.

Either way, it likely would have died very soon if it stayed indoors, so I'm glad you got it outside.

Top Bottom