Can anybody help me find this pot?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don’t take my drawing of the pot too literally. I was just trying to give you an idea of the image. Especially since the tree sits so low in its current pot.

There are things you can do to help with summer heat: shade cloth, increasing the proportion of Akadama in the soil mix, putting a layer of spagnum moss over the soil to retain moisture, setting the pot on a board rather than on concrete.

Western West Virginia would be significantly cooler in summer than Georgia, I suspect. We all get some hot days. Using some of the ideas I listed should be sufficient to get you through your summer.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don’t take my drawing of the pot too literally. I was just trying to give you an idea of the image. Especially since the tree sits so low in its current pot.

There are things you can do to help with summer heat: shade cloth, increasing the proportion of Akadama in the soil mix, putting a layer of spagnum moss over the soil to retain moisture, setting the pot on a board rather than on concrete.

Western West Virginia would be significantly cooler in summer than Georgia, I suspect. We all get some hot days. Using some of the ideas I listed should be sufficient to get you through your summer.
Great sounds good Adair. I really need to rethink the area displayed.
I've been reducing akadama and increasing DE 8822, but not happy with the 8822 sizing,
so I now will be spending years working on a recipe using...

"Monto Clay ®, short for Montmorillonite clay, is a fired clay product used to amend soil. Montmorillonite is sold under other brand names such as Turface MVP®.

The advantage of Monto Clay is the 1/4 inch particle size."
(from the source: bonsai jack.com)

I respect your stance on akadama. I have received 2 shipments of "hard" akadama that was unusually soft.
This left the mistrust aspect front and centre. I still have a little bit of the "hard" 2 Line left, and still blend it in.
I want to go longer between repotting than the recent akadama has offered me.

Anyway back to the pot. If Anthony could link the source mentioned, that would complete this thread.
If it's Bonsai by the Monastery that's a trip to Conyers since they closed their online store.
Or was he referring to you Adair? LOL. Surely you wouldn't hold out on me like that ;)

I will post pics when I pot this tree.
This is yet another tree trunk ruined by my leaving a nursery tag on too long. Never again. It was removed in 2011
but the inverse taper had already begun.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could try Plant City Bonsai. That pot looks like it’s a Lotus pot, and I think Plant City sells some of theirs.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty close... ish.
Thanks, the colour's right on...I like it and have seen several similar to it.
Even saw one similar to the OP but the tooling was atrocious and more terra cotta colour.
You could try Plant City Bonsai. That pot looks like it’s a Lotus pot, and I think Plant City sells some of theirs.
Thanks, I think you're right about Lotus. Found one about 90 mins away, not on line
http://www.glasshouseworks.com/lotus-bonsai-pot-matte-large-oval-globular
$35 This one's Goldilocks size wise for 1st pot.
The one in the OP would be too big or too small right now, either size
but would look great in my living room all by itself on a shelf :)
@rockm is right it's way too big

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Japonicus ,

you could ask @sorce , if he could make you one,
Good Day
Anthony
Thank you Anthony for your time.
I will ask sorce. Everybody's so busy I hate to impose though. He was my 1st thought before I started this thread.
Was hoping someone knew right off the bat where I could find it.
Thank you sir!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So about dimensions and over-potting. Keep in mind these dimensions please.
A similar, near exact replica without the drum characteristics
OD 14 x 11 x 4 ends up being
ID 10.5 x 7.5 x 3.75
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202170221888?ul_noapp=true
Had the seller measure one, she measured a couple she said.

I have 3 different sized mica pots
DSC_2626.JPG
I'm sure one would fit the bill size wise, but the tree deserves better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry @Japonicus ...this is my first time finding all this tree info and such.

I am dead set on nailing it the first go since Adair said you can't!?

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry @Japonicus ...this is my first time finding all this tree info and such.

I am dead set on nailing it the first go since Adair said you can't!?

Sorce
Hey, good day @sorce !

Will shoot some pics with the tree behind the pot linked in my last post when it gets here next week.
Behind the pot will dwarf the trunk even more, but will give me an idea of how they jive.
Is there anything that can safely darken the pots exterior post firing?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Coffee?

I would try mild and natural then go up from there.

Sorce
Ahhh nice! A POT of Starbucks Sounds good.
Thought about shoe polish in the paste form on the bottom for starters
but your idea is much better.

Attachments

• 1548018036303.png
    1548018036303.png
    445 bytes · Views: 12

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I got a pot in today...

DSC_2637.JPGDSC_2635.JPG
DSC_2640.JPG

It's obvious that this pot does indeed dwarf the trunk. Especially in the photo of tree 10" behind the pots centre.

The foliage will be reduced this year only by cleaning up.
Wire a bit in the Fall is my plan. Next growing season after that, then I will begin to reduce the foliage
maybe even the height of this tree. Wire again/more. Rest another year, then work the roots again with more vigour.
I'm not going to get in a hurry with this tree, and I'm not going to force it down suddenly.
That said, an 11 or 12" pot should do for a more permanent, or longer time for the tree to occupy.
Hopefully this will be a cool training pot, and get my feet wet with pot choices.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

DSC_3665.JPG DSC_3667.JPG DSC_3668.JPG
I finally found this pot style. Colour is off a little from what I was wanting, but couldn't pass it up.
(A cd case for size reference, 12 inch)
On our way home from Florida we stopped at the Monastery in Conyers, Ga and Plant City Bonsai in Clermont.
Clermont grows more friendly and not snobbish folks, than experienced in Conyers for sure. Steve and Sandy
are truly swell folks, kind, knowledgable and freely offer their helps. I will certainly be revisiting their "home".

@Adair M can you make heads or tails of the stamps (3 stamps?) I was rushed along and not allowed time
and the question didn't get a chance to present itself at the t i m e :rolleyes:...

Reaction score
View attachment 266684

View attachment 266685 View attachment 266686 View attachment 266687
I finally found this pot style. Colour is off a little from what I was wanting, but couldn't pass it up.
(A cd case for size reference, 12 inch)
On our way home from Florida we stopped at the Monastery in Conyers, Ga and Plant City Bonsai in Clermont.
Clermont grows more friendly and not snobbish folks, than experienced in Conyers for sure. Steve and Sandy
are truly swell folks, kind, knowledgable and freely offer their helps. I will certainly be revisiting their "home".

@Adair M can you make heads or tails of the stamps (3 stamps?) I was rushed along and not allowed time
and the question didn't get a chance to present itself at the t i m e :rolleyes:...

It's really hard to make out from your photo, but probably contemporary Chinese. It should be on this site: https://japanesebonsaipots.net/chop-and-signature-resource/

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top Bottom