Can anybody help me find this pot?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't come to such a definitive choice. Don't know the price, but importing a Chinese pot is going to add some $$, it will add $$$$$ come March, as new U.S. tariffs go up on Chinese made goods.

That pot is OK--style is nice--but you can do better and probably cheaper with a domestic custom-made pot. FWIW, I have been disappointed a little and a lot with the majority of Chinese-made pots I've bought, even the high end stuff. Some are just junk, others aren't but have a tendency not to wear all that well over the years. I do have a couple of exceptions, like the 24" x 20" x 6" pot on my big live oak. It has been rock solid for 20 years now, although it is showing signs of mineral leaching in some spots.

From the style you're attracted to, I'd bet you would find something from Ron Lang that would fit the bill. I've been buying from Ron for a very long time, since he started. His craftsmanship is excellent and his designs are also. I've bought "offthe rack" and had custom pots made. Have never been disappointed.

He excels with unglazed or iron-washed "rustic" nanban and rivet pots and subtle western variations of both. A roughly 15" by 11" by 3" from Ron would run about $225 or so. You can also have a custom-made pot by him that would fit your tree EXACTLY without having to worry about whether the pot you just shelled out a few hundred dollars to get from a distant country undamaged will actually work with your tree.

Look through Ron's inventory:
http://www.langbonsai.com/InventoryOval.htm
Custom orders
http://www.langbonsai.com/sales.htm#CustomOrder

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wouldn't come to such a definitive choice. Don't know the price, but importing a Chinese pot is going to add some $$, it will add $$$$$ come March, as new U.S. tariffs go up on Chinese made goods.

That pot is OK--style is nice--but you can do better and probably cheaper with a domestic custom-made pot. FWIW, I have been disappointed a little and a lot with the majority of Chinese-made pots I've bought, even the high end stuff. Some are just junk, others aren't but have a tendency not to wear all that well over the years. I do have a couple of exceptions, like the 24" x 20" x 6" pot on my big live oak. It has been rock solid for 20 years now, although it is showing signs of mineral leaching in some spots.

From the style you're attracted to, I'd bet you would find something from Ron Lang that would fit the bill. I've been buying from Ron for a very long time, since he started. His craftsmanship is excellent and his designs are also. I've bought "offthe rack" and had custom pots made. Have never been disappointed.

He excels with unglazed or iron-washed "rustic" nanban and rivet pots and subtle western variations of both. A roughly 15" by 11" by 3" from Ron would run about $225 or so. You can also have a custom-made pot by him that would fit your tree EXACTLY without having to worry about whether the pot you just shelled out a few hundred dollars to get from a distant country undamaged will actually work with your tree.

Look through Ron's inventory:
http://www.langbonsai.com/InventoryOval.htm
Custom orders
http://www.langbonsai.com/sales.htm#CustomOrder
Hey thanks a bunch @rockm ! None currently available fits the bill yet...
My post was, well, after a huge reduction in the original post to be.
I went into detail about size of the current tree, and a little history, and it just
was too long and boring a post, then I saw that pot, and I am not an OVAL fan
but that one I really took a liking to, like Liv Tyler.
full

This is the shimpaku that needs a home. It's been in this lousy nursery can since
before I purchased the tree in 2008 at NEB for $25.

The tree has never been fully repotted since I've owned it but was slipped out once
only to trim a couple inches of roots and refresh the soil. That said, the original threads title
1st ! Pot for Shimpaku was a fitting title, I want to over pot the tree 1st time around.
I cannot have a pot made yet due to that criteria, as well as I haven't seen the roots
since I can't remember when. That reduces the amount of money I'm willing to invest in a pot for it as well.

Now for the boring but important info as well...
Tree and canopy as is, is ~19"
Pot/can is 8" x maybe 11" deep.
I like a masculine rectangle, and from what I've been reading,
junipers fall more into the feminine side of things.That took me by surprise, but ok.
The lack of taper subtracts from the masculine traits, but the sinuous trunk cancels out the taper issue
and becomes less gender specific.

Originally I wanted a two tone Yixing brown to reddish brown to brown unglazed rectangle
with more pronounced lines, but then my tree has no colouring to meld with the red. Would contrast at this point.
I think if the pot jived with the tree it would add age, and contrasting sharp colours would subtract age.

So yes, I want to over pot 1st time in a bonsai pot for this tree, and reduce over time to a 12-13.5" pot.
Here's a couple selections for this tree before the one in the OP.
This one is my 1st choice, is a link barring copyrights
https://www.bonsaivision.com/product-p/bvz197.htm
If you look through the images, I just have a hard time getting past the imperfections of the lip/rim.

1547675687168.png
This one is possibly perfect by the shape versus subject
but it's just so doggone PLAIN compared to the oval drum I liked so much.
Still it could serve the current purpose.

1547676106896.png
Here's a little more definition, wrong size initially and colour is off, have seen it in brown.
I like the rectangle and some definition.

This is tough decision. I have 2 mica pots if all else fails.
One oval just like my Ole No.2 Juniper is in here
1547676695567.png
and one 12.25" rectangle, both 3.5" deep I.D. The rectangle mica that's available is 16.5" O.D. across though.

My apologies for such a long post and ramblings on. My thoughts are the more info presented the better
and more accurate, dialed in responses will be.

Attachments

• 1547675723905.png
    1547675723905.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 39

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’re WAY over thinking, obscessing, on this. You will not get the pot “right” the first time, nor is there any need to try. It’s going to take several iterations of styling/potting/restyling/repotting before it really matters.

At this point, with the tree this rough, anything that’s shallower and wider would work.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a better way to go about this:

Assuming you plan to have multiple trees, you will need to have many pots in different styles. If you see a nice pot that you think you might use use sometime in the future, get it. Keep a reasonable inventory of pots. Because, when you are actually potting a tree up, you may find that the pot you were planning to use won’t fit. Maybe it’s too small. Or too shallow, or just “wrong”. You need options.

The way I like to do it is to prepare the rootball, then set the tree into 3 or 4 pots, and take a picture of each. Then decide which looks best. It’s usually NOT the one I had thought I would use! Lol!!!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You’re WAY over thinking, obscessing, on this. You will not get the pot “right” the first time, nor is there any need to try. It’s going to take several iterations of styling/potting/restyling/repotting before it really matters.

At this point, with the tree this rough, anything that’s shallower and wider would work.
Sure, I'll buy that. I over think most stuff. Guilty. I admit it.
While I have you on the line here Adair, might I ask you a (silly to you) question?
Being how I've managed to keep this tree alive in the same pot since I've owned it...
...why wouldn't it be possible to get a pot that just grabs me, and have the tree in that pot for as long?

Assuming you plan to have multiple trees, you will need to have many pots in different styles. If you see a nice pot that you think you might use use sometime in the future, get it. Keep a reasonable inventory of pots. Because, when you are actually potting a tree up, you may find that the pot you were planning to use won’t fit. Maybe it’s too small. Or too shallow, or just “wrong”. You need options.

The way I like to do it is to prepare the rootball, then set the tree into 3 or 4 pots, and take a picture of each. Then decide which looks best. It’s usually NOT the one I had thought I would use! Lol!!!
I couldn't agree more Adair. Actually, this has normally been my thinking and actions.
full

For example ^ when I repotted Ole No.2 last April, I had 5 pots on hand including the one it was in.
One obscured by the tree, but my sentiments exactly.

My guess is that the size pot I purchase to over-pot the tree, will be too big and I do have
a couple others on hand just in case. I have several varying sized trees, so a pot unused
is not a lost pot/cause. Just not going to spend too much getting there.
Now, if you could just make that 1st one appear...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sure, you can keep a tree in the same pot a very long time.

But, that’s not the right pot for that tree.

Look at your tree. Look at the trunk. It’s got great movement! But what about the foliage? There’s a huge mass of foliage! It overpowers the tree! You have an elegant slim trunk with enough foliage to support a dozen trunks!

The pot would complement the foliage, it’s massive. But the trunk would get dwarfed.

In bonsai, the TRUNK is the tree. Thick or thin, heavy or light, it’s all about the trunk. Putting that trunk in that pot is like putting Cinderella’s foot in Andre the Giant’s shoe!

Now, that pot may be perfect for another of your trees. Just not this one.

By the way, you need to restyle that tree so that it has about 1/3 the current amount of foliage. That will get it back in proportion to the trunk.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sure, you can keep a tree in the same pot a very long time.

But, that’s not the right pot for that tree.

Look at your tree. Look at the trunk. It’s got great movement! But what about the foliage? There’s a huge mass of foliage! It overpowers the tree! You have an elegant slim trunk with enough foliage to support a dozen trunks!

The pot would complement the foliage, it’s massive. But the trunk would get dwarfed.

In bonsai, the TRUNK is the tree. Thick or thin, heavy or light, it’s all about the trunk. Putting that trunk in that pot is like putting Cinderella’s foot in Andre the Giant’s shoe!

Now, that pot may be perfect for another of your trees. Just not this one.

By the way, you need to restyle that tree so that it has about 1/3 the current amount of foliage. That will get it back in proportion to the trunk.
I appreciate your honesty and humor.
Dang, so much for the next question I was going to ask you tomorrow...
..."what are your thoughts on this pot for this tree regardless of dimensions"?
Cinderella's foot dwarfed.

On to the next ? I probably won't like the answer, but would you care to take a moment
and paste a quick pic of what you would shoot for in a couple years for this tree if it were yours?
Style, not so much dimensions. Pics alone are void of detailed dimension.
That may steer me in a good direction, it may not. Please don't be offended if I dislike your
personal choice. I own one or 2 bonsai pots. The rest are unremarkable.
Oh, I have to add, without being too deep, I go deeper than most due to my harsh environment
in the Summertime. Scoff if you will, a little more depth may be just what keeps my trees from complete
dehydration.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score

This is what I do. Once a year we go on a trip to Taipei to weekend flower market. I look at pots, speak to guys about the tree I want t as pot for and hear suggestions. Then buy a few to try out. When one looks good, I look for a better quality in that style/shape/color and get it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your opinion only.
It's a very GOOD opinion, IMO. The pot choices simply overpower the trunk, making it look insignificant. Like many starting out, I think Japonicus is seeing the tree's foliage and not the tree. The foliage is much much MUCH too full for the trunk. Matching a pot to the foliage (which will probably be significantly reduced as the owner gets more of an "eye" for design) is futile and in this case EXPENSIVE. The tree could take a much, much MUCH smaller pot once the owner "sees" the trunk as the focal point -- bonsai is 80 percent about the first third of the trunk of a tree. That section of the trunk and tree is the foundation of the resulting bonsai. The rest is removable and replaceable, the nebari is not.

Going to the trouble to import a pot from China is a waste of money and effort. Smaller, more suitable (and probably better made) pots are readily available from dozens of sources here in the U.S., including already imported pots like the one the OP longs for.

I buy pots I can't use immediately all the time. It's not uncommon. Pots are a "thing" all to themselves. You don't have to feel guilty about buying a pot that won't always house the tree it was intended for. The majority of the pots in my backyard were bought because I like them. I've used all of them at one time or another. I switch them out, switch them to different trees, etc. An inventory of pots (within reason, and that is a flexible number ;-)) is nothing to be ashamed of.pots.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey thanks a bunch @rockm ! None currently available fits the bill yet...
My post was, well, after a huge reduction in the original post to be.
I went into detail about size of the current tree, and a little history, and it just
was too long and boring a post, then I saw that pot, and I am not an OVAL fan
but that one I really took a liking to, like Liv Tyler.
full

This is the shimpaku that needs a home. It's been in this lousy nursery can since
before I purchased the tree in 2008 at NEB for $25.

The tree has never been fully repotted since I've owned it but was slipped out once
only to trim a couple inches of roots and refresh the soil. That said, the original threads title
1st ! Pot for Shimpaku was a fitting title, I want to over pot the tree 1st time around.
I cannot have a pot made yet due to that criteria, as well as I haven't seen the roots
since I can't remember when. That reduces the amount of money I'm willing to invest in a pot for it as well.

Now for the boring but important info as well...
Tree and canopy as is, is ~19"
Pot/can is 8" x maybe 11" deep.
I like a masculine rectangle, and from what I've been reading,
junipers fall more into the feminine side of things.That took me by surprise, but ok.
The lack of taper subtracts from the masculine traits, but the sinuous trunk cancels out the taper issue
and becomes less gender specific.

Originally I wanted a two tone Yixing brown to reddish brown to brown unglazed rectangle
with more pronounced lines, but then my tree has no colouring to meld with the red. Would contrast at this point.
I think if the pot jived with the tree it would add age, and contrasting sharp colours would subtract age.

So yes, I want to over pot 1st time in a bonsai pot for this tree, and reduce over time to a 12-13.5" pot.
Here's a couple selections for this tree before the one in the OP.
This one is my 1st choice, is a link barring copyrights
https://www.bonsaivision.com/product-p/bvz197.htm
If you look through the images, I just have a hard time getting past the imperfections of the lip/rim.

View attachment 223703
This one is possibly perfect by the shape versus subject
but it's just so doggone PLAIN compared to the oval drum I liked so much.
Still it could serve the current purpose.

View attachment 223705
Here's a little more definition, wrong size initially and colour is off, have seen it in brown.
I like the rectangle and some definition.

This is tough decision. I have 2 mica pots if all else fails.
One oval just like my Ole No.2 Juniper is in here
View attachment 223706
and one 12.25" rectangle, both 3.5" deep I.D. The rectangle mica that's available is 16.5" O.D. across though.

My apologies for such a long post and ramblings on. My thoughts are the more info presented the better
and more accurate, dialed in responses will be.

All of those pots are waaay too big. You're trying to balance the pot with the foliage, and there's waay too much foliage for the trunk of this tree. Big, deep pots for junipers can lead to problems. Big deep pots are not easy to monitor for watering if you're not familiar with them. I have BIG trees and BIG pots, like 24 x 20 and sometimes larger. The soil interior can stay wet, even in the summer heat, even if the top two inches look and feel bone dry. Junipers don't like wet soil and if you overpot that much you're going to have a constantly soggy interior root mass and dead roots with such a large container...just sayin...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, I'm certainly not a dog that' bites the hand that feeds it, but I can communicate.
Having already mentioned the pot may be too big on my own account, the pot is the 1st pot.
It is indeed going to be down sized in the future.
I hope to find a pot that will house the roots without much pruning.
The roots will be worked out laterally in a comfort zone
not too deep, but certainly not shallow. Once I begin this task, hopefully, one of the pots
I have or buy here soon, will be a comfortable boot. I like boots.

As to wanting a pot the tree will call home for years to come, I certainly wish I knew right now
what size pot the roots need. I don't. Was hoping the one in the OP would work. It is tooled very nicely.
It's a very GOOD opinion,
I think Japonicus is seeing the tree's foliage and not the tree.
All the info in your post is very VERY good indeed :)
However I am not seeing either the tree nor the foliage when looking at pot dimensions. Style, yes, I am.
I am being kind to the roots (in my mind) for the 1st potting.
The roots are used to about a 12" depth, 10 for all practical purposes.
I'm planning on reducing that to near what Adairs edited image looks like
and 3-3.5" sounds safe to me for the 1st depth measurement of the outside of the pot.
Your feedback is necessary and appreciated. Please keep it coming, I treasure such great helps.

I can't get into theoretics they will be shot down.
Eh, what the heck, here goes,
I want 3/4-1" inch of growing out space around the circumference.
That's + 2" to the pots dimensions.
If the roots splay out 5" from the trunk after trimming the growth tips that's 10" + trunk.
Now I'm at, at least 12.5" (I.D.) if the trunk were only 1" and I leave 3/4" growth room.
That 3/4-1" space will also be the most hot area of the soil on exposed sides and for longer duration
than the soil elsewhere in the pot. Most 14" pots are 12" or less inside, so I will have a 14'er on hand
should this theory prove correct. If not, I move onto the next pot that does fit, maybe trim a little more roots.
Will find out in April or late August depending on vacation time.

I will clean underside of all branches after a good rebound post potting
but will not reduce so much, the foliage, save for some crowding (I know there's a lot but have to start somewhere)
and keep the foliage until the next growing season, after the tree has sufficiently rebounded.
I've kept the foliage on for this reason.

I can say I've lost more bonsai to drying out in shallow pots
than I have in deeper pots. Having adjusted the volume of soil, edging on the heavy side
I've lost one tree in the last 6 years to needle cast last year, and one collected spruce in a nursery can
for unknown reasons.
I do not have a display area, shade or wind break. I dare say many of my pots rest
on a porch that is 110ºF or higher much of the day throughout the Summer.
I am familiar with trying to keep a balance between what enthusiasts call deeper than necessary
but acceptable, and my own personal environment where my trees are kept.
Heavy pots also are more wind resistant. Adair mentioned to "tie" the pot down to a cinder block
but I can't have 20 cinder blocks about my porch to untie and move all my trees before a hail storm
or high wind advisory. One day, if I play my cards right, I will have a home where I can keep bonsai trees
better. I may or may not add a pergola to my porch. That would help immensely, but I need to re-reck it 1st.
The PT 2x4's I used for decking in '95 is Sun rotted. It's shot, several years going now.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m thinking the tree should be worked back to something like this:

And I apologize in advance for my poor editing skills!

View attachment 223799
Your editing skills are fine. The depth of soil you elude to there reflects what one would have in a 3" pot (2" of soil).
So a 12" pot is certainly in the future for this tree, and is in line with the pot length to tree height requirement ratio.
Are you suggesting to remove both L & R lower branches?

DSC_0314.JPG
I know you're gonna crap when you see the wire...
This is May 2011, what I plan to reduce the foliage back to in time after repotting.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...An inventory of pots (within reason, and that is a flexible number ;-)) is nothing to be ashamed of.View attachment 223763
That drum pot is a gorgeous colour. Of course you know I like the big rectangle on the bottom :)
and I agree, everyone should have an inventory of pots. I have a few, but not worth a picture of LOL.
One thing about the mica pots I use is they're nice for drilling and guying.

Top Bottom