Can anyone help me identify my tree?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Correct. Chinese elm.
Are you in the process of repotting or is that how it came?
There are a lot of roots exposed to the air in that picture. It probably won't harm the tree but most of those fine roots will die and you will just be left with the longer, thicker ones. I think the tree should be potted lower in the pot - remove some of the deeper roots in order to save the lateral surface roots.
The potting soil looks very fine. Peat? It is possible to grow trees in small pots in really fine potting soil but not really easy. Most of us use a larger particle potting soil that has better drainage properties to avoid root problems when trees are kept in small pots.

BTW. Chinese elm can be kept indoors but that, too, is difficult. Much easier to keep it alive if it has a place outdoors in wind and sun.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Dommouse

Seedling
Reaction score
Correct. Chinese elm.
Are you in the process of repotting or is that how it came?
There are a lot of roots exposed to the air in that picture. It probably won't harm the tree but most of those fine roots will die and you will just be left with the longer, thicker ones. I think the tree should be potted lower in the pot - remove some of the deeper roots in order to save the lateral surface roots.
The potting soil looks very fine. Peat? It is possible to grow trees in small pots in really fine potting soil but not really easy. Most of us use a larger particle potting soil that has better drainage properties to avoid root problems when trees are kept in small pots.

BTW. Chinese elm can be kept indoors but that, too, is difficult. Much easier to keep it alive if it has a place outdoors in wind and sun.
Thanks for your advice, thats really helpful.
Its my first bonsai, i just bought it and thats how it came. Ill have a go at re-potting in better soil. I might get a slightly larger pot.
Ive got a good spot outdoors for it.
All the best, Dom.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I might get a slightly larger pot.
A larger pot will usually provide some insurance against lack of care and improper watering, etc that is common for beginners but the tree does not technically really need a larger pot. I can't actually see how deep that pot is in the photos but assume it is not ridiculously shallow.
IMHO. The tree really needs some of the roots at the base of the root ball cut so it can sit better in the pot. This just looks like sloppy potting up. Maybe a commercial operator trying to cut corners to save some time and bump up the profits or maybe a bored and underpaid staff member taking some short cuts that day.
As a beginner you will probably not feel comfortable removing roots from a tree at repotting so the larger pot will be easier and give the tree a better chance to survive long enough for you to learn and gain some confidence.

BTW, if you start asking about things like timing, when to do different bonsai techniques, it will be easier if we have some idea of your location. Some timing is very seasonal so knowing WHERE you are helps us advise WHEN is good. you can edit your personal profile so the info appears at each post and you don't need to remember to type it each time.

Top Bottom